Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,497   Online: 933

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Testing used large format lenses

Having purchased a used lens over the internet it would be useful to test the lens for resolution and f-stop at different apertures and the shutter at different shutter speed settings.

Is there a step-by-step procedure or maybe a description of the best way to perform such tests? My thought at this point is to use a digital 35mm camera mounted in place of the film holder on a view camera to perform the tests. Would this yield decent results for all tests?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A digi cam could verify shutter speeds, but wouldn't do much for checking overall image quality.

Paper negatives could be done quickly and easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The only "kitchen table" test that makes sense, and I have just referred to this on my Rollei 35 thread, is to see if it does what you want in practice at your largest planned print size - That is all we really need to know

PS - Use film, paper negs are a waste of time and materials, use film in the camera and paper under the enlarger

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Photograph something at the distance you plan to use the lens most and evaluate what you get. I find evenly lit brick walls to do the trick... you can see distortion/fall off/ sharpness/field flatness this way.
    Otherwise until a lens stops doing or doesn't perform what I ask of it, I don't mess with testing much.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin