Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,523   Online: 998

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Stereo camera to tilt or not to tilt

Mornin'

I'm thinking of building myself a stereoscopic camera - just for the fun of it - and I have a pretty simple design that shouldn't be too much trouble once I have the parts.

The design will be built around the back of either a 6x9 or 9x12 plate camera back, this is so I can use either paper negs, roll film or use the instant back I modded and have instant 3d prints. Basically my plan is to built a box with the 2 lenses (off 2 old 6x9 folders) at the front and then just attach it to the already assembled back. The front will be split down the middle with a piece card or thin wood so that each lens will only exposes half the frame. Doing it this way will give me 2 images on the same frame so I won't have to mount them side by side later.

The thought I had then today would be, what if I added a tilt to the lenses - anybody know if this has been done or if it will enhance or hinder the effect of the 3D.

Any other problems you might foresee in my design, let me know.

thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	50907

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two thoughts:

1. I've always wondered why no one bothered to build stereo cameras in horizontal format instead of square or vertical.

2. You'll need matched lenses.

Okay... a third thought:

3. Adding tilt should work fine with matched lenses provided they have enough coverage and you have them precisely aligned during all movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak advised against any tilt and included a bubble level in the viewfinder to ensure any tilt was eliminated.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE... Any examples of why a small amount of tilt won't work? Does it have to do with size relationships? If so then could one have a "set" front tilt to be used in conjunction with a "set" rear tilt to compensate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no further information except to say that I was warned by the EK "guru" of stereo about this same thing. So, I stayed away from it. There is an example in the instruction book IIRC. But that was back in the 50s.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    for the matched lenses I thought I'd just get of the same folder and use one off each, or does it need to be more precisely matched?
    coverage shouldn't be a problem because it will be a 6x9 (probably) lens covering 6x4.5

and PE, thanks for the heads up, I won't bother with the tilt then - less work too now, I won't have to build another bellows and can save the material for another LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is just a guess .....

I'd be willing to bet that the apparent stereo effect would be quite disorienting if tilt is applied.

Something like what happens if you tilt your head back and then look down at the subject from the "bottom" of your eyes.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Something like what happens if you tilt your head back and then look down at the subject from the "bottom" of your eyes.

I have sore eyes now, thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several camera companies make stereo attachments that fasten on the front of a lens and by means of a prism create 2 3D frames on one standard frame of film. Nikon (IIRC) makes one. A friend produces stereo slides that he shows on his TV in stereo.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    for the matched lenses I thought I'd just get of the same folder and use one off each, or does it need to be more precisely matched?
    coverage shouldn't be a problem because it will be a 6x9 (probably) lens covering 6x4.5
    Two of the same lens should be matched well enough. I have three different stereo cameras, and two of them are hardly "precision matched": I have an ancient 127-format camera with two simple meniscus lenses, and I have the new Holga stereo with a pair of Holga lenses. Both are perfectly capable of forming decent stereo photos. If anything, I find that stereo improves the performance of a given lens, as your brain combines two separate low-resolution images into one image that appears to have more resolution.

The bigger problem with stereo images occurs when the exposure is not exactly the same between images; our brains don't like seeing the same image with two different brightnesses. I don't know what kind of shutter system you are planning; if it's a shared shutter, or some kind of focal plane shutter, you will be fine. If you are using the leaf shutters on two separate lenses, then I suggest giving them a CLA and getting them to fire at the same speeds.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin