Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,586   Online: 921

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikkor 85/f2 AI aperature

This weekend, I pulled out my 85 to use and went to close the aperture and noticed it wasn't stopping down on my F3 while using the depth of field preview. I have examined it and basically, when you close the aperture ring, the notch on the back of the lens (on the mount) is not moving at all. Once the ring portion is closed, you can manually move that notch to adjust the aperture properly. Is there an easy fix for this or should I have a professional look at it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    ... or should I have a professional look at it?
    Yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike... are you sure the lens was properly mounted to the camera, and that the aperture indexing tab on the body is not inadvertantly flipped up?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was my first look was to make sure it was properly mounted. I took it off next and checked it as I turned the aperture ring and compared it to a working lens. Someone PM'd me with great info and I'm pretty sure it is a spring that needs replacing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    spring or oil wandering around in there.
    Does the stop down lever on the lens return to it's start position? That's the only spring that controls the aperture..
    If the lever returns, it's likely that it's oil in the diaphragm housing.

In either case, it's not a difficult job for a technician.

The stop down lever is the square black lever sticking out the rear of the mount.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    spring or oil wandering around in there.
    Does the stop down lever on the lens return to it's start position? That's the only spring that controls the aperture..
    If the lever returns, it's likely that it's oil in the diaphragm housing.

In either case, it's not a difficult job for a technician.

The stop down lever is the square black lever sticking out the rear of the mount.
    It's definitely a spring. I didn't see it last night when I looked, but I was looking at it earlier and it looks like there is some oil on the blades. Hopefully, it won't cost too much. I guess I'll check around at a few local shops and maybe some in Atlanta.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Took it to a shop in Asheville. Got the lens back a couple days ago in working order! $45!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin