Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,609   Online: 829

Shooter
    Multi Format

Correct name for part

The Toyo-View G serise cameras have a rise lock consisting of a screw, a barrel, and a pad. They are very similar to an optical micro adjuster screw except for the pad. They have the same threads on the barrel and screw.

I figure that if I could find the correct name for such an item, I might be able to find a generic replacement part. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riser-lock.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	50951

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think they are called "thingies".
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Left to right: Thingie, Whatsit, Doodad.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Left to right: Thingie, Whatsit, Doodad.
    Dude, I think yer wrong about the one in the middle, it looks more like a doohickey to me!
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a "thingie", its proper name is "thingamajig"!! The little pad lookin gizmo is a "watzit".
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try McMaster Carr's, On-Line Catalog

Big catalog. It might take awhile to narrow your search.

You may not find exactly what you're looking for, but
    this may be of more help then you have received so far.

Good luck!

Knobs & Thumbscrews:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#knobs/=hitwpl

Blind Nuts/Captive Nuts:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#nuts/=hitr9n
    Last edited by Marc B.; 05-13-2012 at 07:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jokes aside even though I do enjoy the humor. The knob on the left, i'd call it a wing nut / bolt. One in the middle looks like threaded inside and out, I'd call it a coupling or adapter. Sorry couldn't help much.

Edit: or why not shoot them an email: E-mail: info@toyoview.com
    Last edited by dehk; 05-13-2012 at 08:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I turned this thread into a joke thread, I felt responsible, so I did a little bit of research.

It appears the item on far left is a threaded bolt with a molded handle. The item in middle appears to be more of a threaded insert so that if the thread get screwed up, it can be replaced. What's on right appears to be a friction pad that does the part of actual locking.

You MAY BE able to buy an appropriate threaded rod or screw to substitute for item on the right but isn't this all METRIC threaded? For item in the middle, both male and female thread must be right. I would think it will have to be custom made. What's on right, you could probably use a piece of rubber or plastic if you must. It'll probably be easier and possibly cheaper to purchase a factory replacement....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a joke in a way, I read where Toyo soaked a guy $40 bucks for one of them.

Maybe, I did not make it clear that those are parts of one thing. I can get a micro adjuster screw set for about $8, but the ones I found have a choice of a ball end or a flat end on the screw. I just do not know what they would call one that is intended to lock something in place like that one. I do not care what kind of knob is on the thing as long as I can get four matching ones (one has a broken wing knob that I "fixed" with epoxy but it looks like heck.

In the end I can make new pads if I have to, but I was hoping the thing was an off the shelf item. Heck, I can get micrometer aduster screws (yes with a thimbel just like a micrometer) for less than $40 each. I guess I could turn new screws too, they are M6x0.5. In the end the most economical solution may be to buy another camera and salvage parts from it, but then I am into the price range where I should have just bought something with a guarantee.

Here is the type of thing I found. These are used for positioning rather than locking in place, but the dimensions are identical.
    http://www.eksmaoptics.com/en/p/adju...?t=photos#tabs The one on the bottom is the one I am talking about here. If you go to their drawings you wiil see one that has the same threads and lengths as the rise lock on the Toyo.

But, like I say, I have not found the same thing with the locking pad on the end.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin