Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 641

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon FM2 jammed / repair service in USA

Hello,
    Recently I got nice Nikon FM2 (older vesion) from a big auction site.
    Camera is in a very good condtion. I ran test roll of film last weekend and it came out pretty good.

Yesterday decided to put another film.. After few frames I found that shutter jammed.
    I opened back and found that on of the curtaing blades (titanium honeycomb) does not return back to a correct position.

Now I have my delema - should I sell camera as is for parts / repair, or "invest" in repair / CLA?

P.S. I'm thinking to try to fix it by myself (have some experience fixing jammed apperure blades in few lenses, and leaf shutters in old TLRs, etc and other "related" things), but this one propbably will be the most complex mechanical thing I touched so I afraid I may fail here..

...By some reason I have no luck with old nikons for a last few years. Had FE with focusing problem, another FE with bulb issue, and now that FM2 with jummed shutter. Even my favorite F3HP has issue with meter. Maybe Nikons aren't that reliable as people talking about them? I have about 25 Canon FD bodies and never ever had any problems with them like with Nikons.

Any suggestions here? Any idea who in USA can fix it and how much it may cost me? Or maybe I just should sell this camera?

Thank You!
    Your opinion is very valuable for me.

Victor

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably no shortage of reliable suggestions for service forthcoming. I've used Essex Camera in NJ with no complaints.

With respect, the reality is that virtually no new 35mm cameras equivalent to the FE/FM variants or F3 are currently made. I'd look at something newer like any of the Nikon AF models that work well with manual lenses. It's getting harder to find clean, low-mileage manual focus Nikon bodies that aren't all-but-dead or suffering with various issues. They're 30+ years old in some cases and their legendary reliability has practical limits--talk of pounding nails with F bodies notwithstanding.

Shop for a repair but also a replacement camera. Try to resist a DIY shutter fix. Cost? I'd guess 150-200. Your call.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank You for quick response, CGW..
    It make sense looking for another body but there no warranty that "new" one will not have the same issues.
    Now I'm 70/30 for repair.

Just found exaclty what I;m looking for, prices are acceptable - http://nikonusedcameras.com/nikonfm2camerarepair.html
    Does anybody know anything about this company?

Thank You!

Victor

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Put a quarter in the motor drive connector on the bottom of the camera and see if you can advance the shutter mechanism. I fixed two different FM models this way. If not try United Camera in Rock Island, Il. They fixed an assortment of Nikon gear for me including a first generation 80-200 2.8 that died. Great fast and reasonable work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the mirror in the up position and is there a gap visible in the film gate?

IF there is, you can try moving the curtain away from the gap(open the film aperture fully) and let it snap shut.
    BTW someone up there will rant about this not being proper. If it fixes it and costs nothing it's proper.

Use a fingernail(toothpick works too) and only apply pressure to the edge of the curtain. Nothing forward or backward.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for your responses. I already maged to unlock shutter/advance lever.. Real issue is with one of the curtain or shutter blades. One of the blades does not come back to the original position. It is not horizontal like te other blades, and that creates gap in a curtain. It happens maybe in 50 percent of cases. Sometimes it returns as it should..

.. I already sent a quote request to one repair shop and probably will send one or two more.. As i wrote I do not feel comfortable trying to fix it by myself.. Hope quote will not be ove te roof.

Thank You!

Shooter
    35mm
    Give KEH a try. Repair Center Phone: (770) 333-4210. They are in the Atlanta Metro area. Over many years I have purchased, traded, and sold them some of my unused camera equipment. Wonderful folks to work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had good luck with Gary's Camera Repair: www.garryscamera.com
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank You guys for your responses! Probably camera going to Gary's Camera.
    Will keep you updated.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had very good luck with both KEH and Garry's Camera Repair, both mentioned above. Garry charges about half the cost as KEH for a CLA. Both have done extra repair work with the CLA for no extra charge. I would give one of them a call, and talk with them. They are both very helpful and both have had good turn-around time, generally under a week, up to two weeks. I've had multiple cameras serviced by both of these companies, and never had a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin