Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,532   Posts: 1,572,634   Online: 943

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

engravings on metal

I just bought a newish Minolta SRT 201 with three lenses and all is almost new except for an engraving on body and lenses (a long number). Besides despising this 'aesthetic' I want to know if any of you have dealt with this in a creative way. It can always be filed off, leaving an ugly stain on the metal, then 'painted over' (How, please, and with which paint).

These engravings can be carved into either the chrome or metal. In my case it is both. Any thoughts? - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 05-14-2012 at 09:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cover it with some JCII stickers.

Personally, after one experience with a SS number engraved on a camera, I don't buy anything with anything engraved on it after manufacture. This is really the only effective way to solve the problem.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 05-14-2012 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd suggest an epoxy filler with pigments mixed in to match the colour (as closely as possible) of the casings.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Years ago, while working at a camera store, we received a pristine Nikon F2 body in trade. The problem was, the previous owner had engraved (scratched) his SSN in two places on the camera body. It seems that, back then, the police departments were encouraging this practice in order to reunite owners with their property if it had previously been stolen. The shop owner was convinced that no one would ever buy it in that condition, so he let me have it for a very small price. To this day I still own it and it works great. I don't concern myself with the engravings and can only assume that if it were ever stolen, whoever the person is with the SSN on it would end up getting it back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate this practice also, and I feel your pain. I am afraid that if you try to "fix" this you might end up making the condition worse. I have a beautiful Mamiya RB67 that some moron engraved his number on, and at first I was really bothered by it. As time passed, I have come to accept it and I am not as bothered by it as I once was. Just use it for a while, the camera may endear itself on to you as is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And it does at least give you another way to ID the camera! As others have said, leave it alone, since any fix you attempt is probably just going to make it look worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I engraved some Canon equipment back in the 1980's with encouragement from Police and Insurance agent... I traded it on Nikon gear and did find some erroneous stuff on a credit report once... I try not to worry too much that a Canon A-1 and F-1 and some lenses have my id # on them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I just bought a newish Minolta SRT 201 with three lenses and all is almost new except for an engraving on body and lenses (a long number). Besides despising this 'aesthetic' I want to know if any of you have dealt with this in a creative way. It can always be filed off, leaving an ugly stain on the metal, then 'painted over' (How, please, and with which paint).

These engravings can be carved into either the chrome or metal. In my case it is both. Any thoughts? - David Lyga
    Pinstriping tape over the numbers might work and look a little better.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bought an Ex grade F3 from KEH with an engraved name on the bottom. Doesn't bother me a bit and got a really nice camera that probably should have been graded higher otherwise. The previous owner had an unusual last name, so I had to Google it to see if per chance it could have been someone of notoriety, no such luck.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    David ,

I think its not a big problem unless if you feel the engraved metal with your fingers. I think if metal feels like a needle , you can smoooth it. Best way is to use a 1200 grade filing paper which will smooth the engraved area. You can find it at internet or a department store. Minolta SRT is an excellent and looks like a army piece and lenses are legendary. 1200 grade paper is so fine ,it shines your finger nails.

Umut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin