Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,568   Online: 1148

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not today, but a few months back I dropped my Nikon 70-200 VR. I had my F5 around my neck and when I removed the lens I grabbed it just right, on the focus ring, it rotated out of my hand and onto the concrete. Luckily I had the shade attached as it landed on the tripod foot, bounced up and hit again on the hood.

The only damage is a bent plate where the barrel and tripod plate meet and a scuffed hood. Works fine, just can't use it on a tripod

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Had a slight <ahem> mishap with an open tray of fixer. Ended up spilling 100ml over the box that contains my modem & router. An hour or so later, found my internet connection had gone down.... Rang the hell desk in Bangalore and they diagnosed a "line fault" and would send an engineer out the following afternoon.

One new modem later, and I'm back

Lesson learnt - Fixer and electronics do not mix, so the computers currently in the darkroom will have to find a new home.
    Must be a similar help line I got recently when I rang Directory Enquiries to get the phone number of a friend who lives in a village about twenty miles away from my home, the man who answered the phone at the help centre spoke with such a heavy Indian accent he was all but intelligible, and when I asked him for a number in a village called Burley-In- Wharfdale he told me the place didn't exist and when I asked him where he was he replied " Bangalore".
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am fed up to here (if you could see me now, my hand would be over my head) with photographic equipment today - quite frankly, i am about to toss the lot in the bin and take up knitting.

While I don't think I have broken it, today I have found out my Bronica 80mm PS lens has started playing up with inconsistent shutter speeds

This add's to my list of camera problems over the last 12 months:

• My flash for my Minolta AF camera's died about a month ago - dead, no warning, just stopped working.
    • My 70-200 F2.8 Sigma lens (for the same system) has a bit of an AF problem when it gets hot - it slows down to a crawl. Spoke to others I know with similar Sigma lenses and it sounds like a common fault, which is a bit hit and miss to get fixed. When the temp is OK, focus works fine.
    • The Bronica 150mm PS lens that I bought off the 'bay doesn't fire a flash. Found out about it around a month or two after receiving it. Works fine otherwise.
    • My Main digital pixel exciter (Sony A700) has an intermittant problem where the control wheel jumps all over the place (but was fixed under warranty)

Thats it, the next camera I buy will just be a box with a hole in it.......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Today, I am proud to say I broke nothing, apart from some tree branches, but I was paid to do that.
    But last week I could have answered this with an 'almost' broke my leg.
    Bones heal, but glass doesn't. I try to fall in a way that protects my camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday, I validated my habit of always carrying an "excessive" amount of equipment when travelling. While shooting a(n) expected sunrise at Jasper's Medicine Lake, one of the legs on my Tiltall gave way, causing my F5 and the 28-70ED AFS to crash onto the rocks. Battery pack broke and the impact left a crease the width of my forefinger on the front left of the camera, starting just below the "F5" badge. The lens, for its part, has some loosened innards and is frozen open at F2.8 (moving the aperture ring does not change the aperture setting; it appears the lever may be out of alignment). So...after recovering from shock (Nikon in Vancouver will look at both the F5 and the zoom, but I suspect the F5 may be a goner-possibly not cost-effective to fix), I loaded up my F3HP with some E100VS, mounted the 35 F1.4, cursed the Tiltall, and continued shooting...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't know Tiltall meant "Tilt all the way over"!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Harsh, LX!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Ken, I'm sure we'll soon be hearing from Fred Latchaw (AKA flatulent1).
    You should at least give me a heads-up...

Today I broke a T90. It came to me broken (frozen shutter magnets). I was on the verge of getting it working again. Then while I was hammering it on the ground the stop-down lever engaged and will not now disengage. I am very sad.

Actually things turned out quite well. I won an auction for four dead T90s at the princely sum of $26. The first one I took out of the package is in like-new cosmetic condition, but was afflicted with the EEE error. Unbelievably, a light tap on the ground cleared the error and it works perfectly.

The second body, in pretty nice condition, is nevertheless being recalcitrant. When I finally got the shutter firing regularly I discovered the stop-down lever was stuck and would not release. So I'm going to have to take the face off and see what kind of damage I can do.

The third body just sits there, mocking me. No amount of beating is having any effect. I may have to dismember that one as well.

The fourth body is trash. The finish has been eaten away, there's a significant amount of goo on the shutter. This one I think will be my 'training' camera. Heh.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    flatulent, your camera beating stories are always hilarious! I am just imagining what it looks like and the looks of people's faces if you do it infront of them. haha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I broke my fast.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin