Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,239   Online: 887

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just got done restoring my Konica Auto S2. It's perfect. Later in the day, I snapped the Winding mechanism in half inside the lens...the little bar that winds the shutter to fire, apparently jammed and broke the Shutter winding pin shaft.

I now have a newly restored unusable brick. I am so pissed...

I love my newly restored paperweight. Maybe I will buy another junk one and tear into it...

I should have just bought a Leica...
    Last edited by Greg Heath; 07-02-2012 at 09:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last week while out shooting for 620 camera day, I had an odd failure which had never seen before. I was using my Meteor, with a piece of black electrical tape over the red window, as is my practice with this style of camera in order to reduce the chance of light leaks. Somewhere in the middle of the roll, as I was advancing the film and peeling back the tape to observe the numbers, I noticed that the red window had vanished! It was quite disconcerting looking into the back of the camera and seeing the numbers so crystal clear, unencumbered by the piece of red plastic. For the rest of the roll, I was as careful as I could be to shield the opening from the light as I was advancing. But the film (Portra 400) has not come back from the developer yet, so I still don't know how much of a light leak problem this actually incurred.

My initial thought was that the window either fell off and onto the ground somewhere, or else had somehow been pushed into the camera. But when I got home I discovered what had actually happened - it had been pulled off by the electrical tape, and was still stuck to it!

Shooter
    35mm
    So I tried to unscrew the strap eyelet on my Nikon FM, turned out it is not a screw and I broke it. The other half fell inside the body. Now I can't think of a way to fix it. I'm an idiot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sigma 28-200 zoom. Was on my Élan 7e. Toppled out of the camera bag, and fell about 4 inched lens down onto gravel. Three nice big chips in the middle of the glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The heat wave, this afternoon during a thunder storm.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    So I tried to unscrew the strap eyelet on my Nikon FM, turned out it is not a screw and I broke it. The other half fell inside the body. Now I can't think of a way to fix it. I'm an idiot.
    Yep, it's pinned in. Take it to a repair place and get it fixed, unless you want to take off the top cover and you have a replacement part. I'm just wondering why you wanted to remove it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Yep, it's pinned in. Take it to a repair place and get it fixed, unless you want to take off the top cover and you have a replacement part. I'm just wondering why you wanted to remove it.
    I have a donor body with nicer eyelets and thought about swapping the eyelets
    I took off the top cover and saw the pin but could not figure out how to take it out. The eyelet itself has some clearance but I could not find a way to take out the pin. It is not a micro allen bolt and no protruding part to hold on.
    Oh and I assume this tread is for DIY repairs/mods so I don't have plan to take it to repair shop soon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Sigma 28-200 zoom. Was on my Élan 7e. Toppled out of the camera bag, and fell about 4 inched lens down onto gravel. Three nice big chips in the middle of the glass.
    Surprisingly this may not affect image quality. Blacken in the chipped surfaces with a magic marker and go shoot a roll at assorted apertures.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    I have a donor body with nicer eyelets and thought about swapping the eyelets
    I took off the top cover and saw the pin but could not figure out how to take it out. The eyelet itself has some clearance but I could not find a way to take out the pin. It is not a micro allen bolt and no protruding part to hold on.
    Oh and I assume this tread is for DIY repairs/mods so I don't have plan to take it to repair shop soon
    I don't know exactly how it's pinned so I can't give any specific advice, except to say be careful or you could damage the chassis trying to get it out. If it's a plain pin then it's press fit and you need a small punch to drive it out. If you can't get it out a repairer can do it quickly. Shouldn't cost much.
    Last edited by lxdude; 07-10-2012 at 07:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    ...I did something to lock up the shutter. I was able to remove the back to have a look inside but cannot see anything amiss. That said, I cannot remount the A12, nor can I remove the 80mm. Meanwhile the shutter remains open and a large flat pin on the bottom right (looking into the body) protrudes....
    It sounds like you pre-released the body.

There's a lever protruding down on the right side below and to the rear of the wind crank. If you push that up, the camera goes through all of the functions up to shutter release (shutter closed, aperture stopped down, mirror up, rear curtains open) and stops at that point.

Pressing the normal shutter release will complete the cycle and return the camera to normal operation.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin