Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,379   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    What will you use that for?

Steve.

I have a broken PLC that I want to do this with...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	51437

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I see. I would do that with clear polyester stiffeners and just the outer cover made from a translucent PVC or similar material.

I have always wanted to build a shed with a bellows style roof. Just think of two of the sides and rotate it by 45 degrees. The guttering would be fun to do.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, very nice!
    I did something similar. A 'poor-man's' version where I used scissors to cut the polyester ribs free in the middle and left the ribs attached at the ends. Then cut the ends free after gluing to the first fabric with spray-on contact cement.

Last edited by ic-racer; 05-22-2012 at 08:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have enough cloth left over to make another set so I am going to do an experiment.

In this first set of bellows the inner and outer cloths are only stuck together by the adhesive on the stiffeners. they are free to move away from each other in the surrounding areas although the folds will most likely keep them together.

I want to make another set with the outer cloth laminated in the same way but with a piece of adhesive over the whole of the inner cloth so the two are also joined together in the areas around the stiffeners.

I don't know if it will make any difference but I will find out soon!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I have a broken PLC that I want to do this with...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	51437
    Thats cool...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I made my first bellows I used some cloth from the fabric store that was as light blocking as I could find while being fairly thin. I bought some thin blank liner also. Then I made a layout on very thin Kraft paper and glued stiffeners onto it. Over that I glued, with spray adhesive again, a layer of tin foil. Over the tin foil I glued the backing cloth. Then I folded and glued the overlap together. I don't have the bellows out to photograph it right now but some thirty years later it doesn't leak. It's been sitting most of the time. I made the camera out if Brass and Cherry predominately with hand tools. The key is light tight and flexible.

For my new project I had an 11x14 bellows made. I do believe in self made though as much as possible. When I get up my horses I'm completing the 11x14 film holders I started. I made a traditional holder and it's nearly identical to the original specifications laid out a century ago. now with the working holder and the drawings I can go at will.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks to have worked really well and lasers... wow, I had to cut all mine out one by one with a Stanley knife.
    oh, and how come you only went for black, surely something a little more fun could have been in order

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want a laser cutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    and how come you only went for black, surely something a little more fun could have been in order
    The only reason I made the bellows was because I had the changing bag which was no longer any good. Other colours would be good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    a layer of tin foil.
    I like the idea of the foil. not just to make it light tight but because it would hold the folded corners in the right shape. (can't cut it on the laser though!).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Thats cool...

Yeah, I had decided that I was just going to use a drill press and drill a hole through it, which I'd place a metal tube through, but then I found this guys shop on etsy....

http://www.etsy.com/shop/CECorkLight..._sales_leftnav

After thinking about it, aside from the bellows, I think I could probably make one of these on my own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin