Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,727   Online: 1137

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Repair will cost more than the camera is worth. Cheaper to buy a working one.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Use Your Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Have you checked flea bay prices on K1000 cameras lately? $65 is not bad at all. If this camera has not been used for many years there are likely other little issues that Eric will find and correct. Simply replacing the mirror bumper foam may not be the only TLC the camera needs.

As for the K1000 being immortal, they are pretty darned close. I have a 1980s model K1000 that has been used fairly regular for 30 years with no repairs needed, and still takes excellent images. Any faults in the pictures can easily be laid to the feet of the photographer, not the camera. However, any camera that does not get used for many years will certainly develop problems, even one that is so simple and seemingly indestructible as the infamous K1000.

Save A Camera - USE ONE TODAY!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    See, this is what I was talking about.

Have you seen what K1000's sell for, even without a CLA?

It's often a false economy. If the replacement fails, you have to buy yet another one. The used one is an unknown quantity- it might go a long time or it might quit next week. If the camera is going to be sold, it might not be worth getting a CLA. If the camera is going to be used, it makes sense to do it. The CLA pays off over time, as you get the use out of it. And for 65 bucks you know your camera will work when you want it to. Cheap insurance, I'd say.

For $65 or so the camera is cleaned and relubed, all foam replaced, ready to go reliably for many more years. And recently CLA'd cameras do sell for more, generally. A quality CLA by Eric Hendrickson or other reputable repairer is worth every cent.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    .....For $65 or so the camera is cleaned and relubed, all foam replaced, ready to go reliably for many more years. And recently CLA'd cameras do sell for more, generally. A quality CLA by Eric Hendrickson or other reputable repairer is worth every cent.
    +1
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difference in price between buying another old beater and making your current old beater as good as new is a couple of Happy Meals. I'd much rather work with a restored camera than eat a Happy Meal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    The difference in price between buying another old beater and making your current old beater as good as new is a couple of Happy Meals. I'd much rather work with a restored camera than eat a Happy Meal.
    I'd rather have explosive diarrhea in public than eat a Happy Meal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I'd rather have explosive diarrhea in public than eat a Happy Meal.
    Oh man, talk about entertainment value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Oh man, talk about entertainment value.
    Yes, compared to eating McFood it's a win-win situation!

edit- You could photograph the event with your recently CLA'd camera.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-08-2012 at 12:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH is selling well used K1000's for up to $150-$200 right now. And they are no better than most that are available. It's a great camera but the prices are absurd. At least w/ a CLA you'll know what you've got, and functioning properly. I think a $65 CLA would be worth it.
    2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOW! So I can shoot E. von Hoegh's exploding diarrhea with my recently CLA'd K1000 and still have $85-135 for more Happy Meals.

Actually, I did recently get a $100 CLA on a 1940's Zeiss that I bought for $100 a couple years ago. Completed eBay listings show they're going for $150-200 in unknown condition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin