Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,845   Online: 863

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

K1000 Mirror Not Flipping

My sister in law is in the process of packing up her house to move, and they found her husbands cameras from his college art classes years ago.

This K1000 seems like it works, but is in serious need of a CLA. But the mirror is stuck in the up position. I can push it down with my finger and it stays down, but if you trip the shutter it stays up.

My question is... is this a relatively inexpensive fix?

I've long wanted a K1000 and almost bought on off the bay. Are they pretty easy and cheap to restore to operating status?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339026340.472189.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	52156
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339026352.449709.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	52157

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It shouldn't be too bad. I had a spotmatic with the same problem and sent it to Eric Hendrickson. He did excellent work and charged about $65 for the repair, seals and CLA. You can contact Eric at http://pentaxs.com/

-- Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The mirror may just be sticking to the foam bumper at the top of the mirror box.
    The foam gets gooey with age. It is quite easy to replace with similar thickness foam from a craft store. Or you can find foam light seal kits on eBay and such that will probably include the mirror bumper. If the foam has deteriorated it is probably safe to assume the foam seals etc in the rest of the camera are in a similar condition and need to be replaced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! I'll contact Eric. $65 doesn't sound bad at all. I'd probably have to do the same with anything I'd buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote of confidence for Eric, he did a great job on my ME Super....

Griz
    Get out and shoot!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A K1000 actually had a problem?! I thought these things were indestructible and immortal! Glad it sounds like an easy fix.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can recommend Eric Hendrickson, he has serviced all my Pentax cameras (SV and Spotmatic) and he does a very good job.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Thanks! I'll contact Eric. $65 doesn't sound bad at all. I'd probably have to do the same with anything I'd buy.
    Ahhh, someone who gets it.

So many people say "A CLA is more than the camera is worth- if this one quits I'll just get another".

And yes, Eric does thorough and conscientious work.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I certainly don't want to dissuade you from having a CLA done, but I have to second mwdake's post about the mirror bumper foam. I've seen a few SLRs act dodgy like that or even erratic until I've replaced that foam. The strips of fuzz from a 35mm film canister work well, cut down to size and attached with a bit of rubber cement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 on the mirror bumper foam causing the mirror to stick. I was given a lovely looking Nikkormat Ftn with this as it's only problem; I replaced the foam with felt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin