Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,572   Online: 1157
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    EKDobbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    124

    Leatherette Modification - RB67

    I'm looking to paint the leather on my RB67 red. However, this is not as simple as a 35mm camera body. The leather is attached in such a way that removing it is impossible without removing the focus knobs, cocking lever, film winding lever, and possibly some of the chrome detail.

    I'd like advice on how to go about removing these things (if it is simple and carries low risk of breaking the camera), and what sort of paint and sealer I should use for maximum durability.

    If it is too risky to remove some parts (I would like the camera to end up with all the parts it began with, insignias and chrome included), I would like advice on how to paint it without removing said parts.

    Thanks for the help.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Toronto ON Canada
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    547
    Probably better and easier to just get a leather kit. There a couple of companies that make the kits at reasnable prices and have a wide choice of naterial including dyed leather to snake skin to losts of others.

  3. #3
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Unless the Pro is wildly different than my Pro S, the only real problem is the inconspicuous area around the lens mount--the other panels on the sides don't surround the focus knob or the cocking lever. Same goes for the back and WLF.

    I've not seen anything for the Mamiya RB series from CameraLeather. Why they support something like the Minolta Autocord but not the RB cameras is baffling. Good luck. Me? I'd go for Mack Daddy fake fur<<George Clinton and Parliament "Give Up the Funk" heard in the background>>

  4. #4
    Nicholas Lindan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,377
    Images
    4
    What's on your camera isn't leather but vinyl. Though called "leatherette" the emphasis is on the "ette". Google "paint vinyl" for information and products.

    Have you thought of doing it in wood veneer and selling it for $3,195.42?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

  5. #5
    Newt_on_Swings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Have you thought of doing it in wood veneer and selling it for $3,195.42?

    This^

    I would be really careful about painting with parts attached, I have a Canon VT that someone had tried painting with black enamel paint to cover brassing and scratches. It is everywhere, in spots where no paint should run to, it chips off badly as well, I had chips falling out when I attached and removed a finder from the cold shoe, and a general uneven coat to it.

    Removal of the body panels and repainting would be best option.

    The only body I had to repaint was an Olympus RC that I had fixed (stuck aperture ring). Areas had chipped and scratched and had rust. I sanded out all rust and I masked lots of areas off with tape and used automotive spray enamel to get a nice black. It didnt keep well. I had to redo it with a modeler's enamel with a small brush, which finally worked well.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA, Pac/NW
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    368
    E K,
    I was certain that either 'Aki-Asahi,' or 'Camera Leathers' had kits for RB's, but darned if both
    companies no longer show these kits available.
    You might try contacting them to see if kits can be ordered; availability of hide/leatherette choices.

    Below are some step-by-step images for recovering a Yashica TLR.
    I know it's not your RB, but gives you an idea of the process.

    http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/124g/replace/index.html

  7. #7
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,429
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by EKDobbs View Post
    I'm looking to paint the leather on my RB67 red. However, this is not as simple as a 35mm camera body. The leather is attached in such a way that removing it is impossible without removing the focus knobs, cocking lever, film winding lever, and possibly some of the chrome detail.

    I'd like advice on how to go about removing these things (if it is simple and carries low risk of breaking the camera), and what sort of paint and sealer I should use for maximum durability.

    If it is too risky to remove some parts (I would like the camera to end up with all the parts it began with, insignias and chrome included), I would like advice on how to paint it without removing said parts.

    Thanks for the help.
    Will this help with it's function as a camera?

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  8. #8
    EKDobbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Will this help with it's function as a camera?

    Does painting a Ferrari red make it faster?

    I know it's not functional, but I've got nothing better to do, other than clean it incessantly.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

  9. #9
    EKDobbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    124
    Alright, I've taken another look at the camera. I may have to cut small slits in some parts of the leather to get it around the knobby bits (unless I can remove those; still looking for advice in that department), but once I get it off, Dupli-color has a nice vinyl paint that's made for car vinyl, so it should handle well. Can pick it up at the nearest auto-zone.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Floor-it-duh
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,154
    Images
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Unless the Pro is wildly different than my Pro S, the only real problem is the inconspicuous area around the lens mount--the other panels on the sides don't surround the focus knob or the cocking lever. Same goes for the back and WLF.

    I've not seen anything for the Mamiya RB series from CameraLeather. Why they support something like the Minolta Autocord but not the RB cameras is baffling. Good luck. Me? I'd go for Mack Daddy fake fur<<George Clinton and Parliament "Give Up the Funk" heard in the background>>
    I just looked up my Mamiya 645, nothing for that either.

    Those two systems are the most popular and affordable MF systems available. That is appalling.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 5.6 Symmar in a Synchro Compur
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin