Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,764   Online: 931

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I've used the earlyphotography site quite a bit to identify cameras but on this occasion he's got it wrong. The Unit shutter was available at the same time as the shutters in the Ruby Reflex and in fact was improved with the introduction of "The Thornton-Pickard New 1910 Patent Unit Focal Plane Camera Sets".

Many of their cameras could be supplied with this new Unit shuttter fitted including the Royal Ruby, Special Ruby etc but these weren't Relex cameras. The older Unit shutters had adjustable tension, like the T&I and used the same ratchet shutter speed indicator (as my Avatar), so needed two adjustments one to wind and re-tension the shutter, the other to adjust the tension to change the spped. The 1910 Unit shutter is similar to our Ruby Relex cameras, one winding key, they still used the key in 1921 but by 1924 it was a radio style knob.

So in 1910 there's also the new Ruby Reflex with the newer "Unit shutter".

Attachment 52448
    The camera still looks the same in a 1921 advert. So I guess what the site owner calls the Ruby shutter is just in fact the newer type of Unit shutter.

Ian

My head is now spinning

Didn't you say yours was a quarter plate?

Mine is a 3 1/2 by 2 1/2. That might explain some of the differences. That also means neither 'special' nor 'Junior' refers to the plate size. I'm beginning to think they just strung as many brand names together as they owned the rights to and stuck them on the name plate...

My camera came with a really nice Taylor Hobson Cooke Anastigmat 5" lens, which is not in a sunken panel. I've also got a Carl Zeiss Jena 15cm Tessar which is a nice fit.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll follow your progress with great interest, Ian. Looks a great project!

I have my grandfather's Thornton Pickard 'Special Ruby'. It's 3½" x 2½" (1/6 plate?), so possibly like the other Steve's model. It has a Ross Xpress 5½" f4.5.

It needs curtains and a CLA, which I really must get round to some time soon.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Grytpype,

You a Thornton Pickard man as well, then? Obviously we share good taste in cameras

There is currently an 85 mm aigmatic lens for sale on eBeeGeebay, don't know if that would interest you?

Search for agimatic.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Steve.

I hadn't spotted that one. Not often they appear separately from the camera.

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin