Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,360   Online: 1195

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Focal Length Question

What would be the focal length of a hemispherical (half ball) lens of radius r? I'm only finding details related to ball lenses and plano-convex lenses. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A hemispherical lens is just a plano-convex lens of appropriate dimensions (disregarding distortion & aberrations).

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see. The lensmaker's equation with radius of curvature of zero (?) for the flat side and, and r for the hemispherical side. I just need to find the refractive index of clear acrylic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    I just need to find the refractive index of clear acrylic.
    Google it.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    I see. The lensmaker's equation with radius of curvature of zero (?) for the flat side and, and r for the hemispherical side.
    The radius of a flat surface is infinite, not zero (so the reciprocal of the radius is zero). You may be better off using Gullstrand's equation for a thick lens rather than the lensmaker's equation, which is only intended for thin lenses.

Best,
    Helen

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Helen. I knew there were a few equations, and I think that's the one I need. (And, yes, I was actually referring to the reciprocal term in the lensmaker's equation. I misstated that.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin