Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,007   Online: 744

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tele Graflex 3 1/4x4 1/4 worn shutter gear ?

Hi,
    I have been using a Tele Graflex (@1925?) 3 1/4x4 1/4 fairly successfully for a few months. The shutter curtains are good, and the speeds are fine. However, it recently started behaving oddly - when the shutter was released the gear sometimes seems to skip - I can hear it - , and the slit ends up out of place. And of course when wound up again the curtain and slits are in the wrong place, etc. I can get them all aligned again and it may work correctly a few times, but the problem always repeats.

I am familiar with Graflex/Graphic mechanisms and I have fixed other problems before, but this one has me at a loss.

The small gear at the end of the top shutter shaft looks like its chewed up. More than half the gear on the body end looks like it has been worn or ground down, but the further half looks unused. The large brass gear inside the top shutter escutcheon looks like its in good shape, the teeth are sharp enough, etc. It seems that the large gear is bearing on only part of the small gear and destroying it.

I suspect I need to replace the small gear. I have not fully disassembled this camera, not needing to as it was working fine. What do I need to do to replace the gear, and what gear from what camera would be compatible ? Would I have to replace the whole top shaft ?

Any suggestion would be very welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finding the right gear is a matter of luck. Most gears for manufactured products are a custom design.

Still, always a good idea to try: http://www.sdp-si.com/estore/CoverPg/Gears.htm
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The likelyhood of finding gears in a catalog is small. First, you have to measure the gears. Tooth count, pitch, pressure angle. The large gear that looks good probably isn't and will also have to be replaced. Again, finding a set of gears of the correct ratio that will work with the existing center distances will be difficult to impossible. Best to find a camera to cannibalise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all very much.
    Would anyone know if this gear is the same as used in other Graphic/Graflex models ?
    And if the gear alone can be swapped, and not the whole upper shaft/roller ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First, ask over on Graflex.org for more information. The folks on that forum will know better than anyone about servicing your camera. I think you'd be able to scavenge the parts you want off of another 3 1/4 graflex of similar vintage - there's no reason why the shutter mechanism would have varied from version to version in that size. Another good plus is that the 3 1/4 graflexes are not highly prized, so it should be a small matter to acquire a donor camera for little money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luisalegria View Post
    Thanks all very much.
    Would anyone know if this gear is the same as used in other Graphic/Graflex models ?
    And if the gear alone can be swapped, and not the whole upper shaft/roller ?
    Just remember, you have to find out why the gears failed in the first place, and correct that. They're so lightly loaded that I very much doubt it was normal wear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all.
    I've gotten help from Graflex.org
    I think this is repairable, or at least can be worked around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin