Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,620   Online: 752

Shooter
    35mm

Question about modifying a shutter

Okay, this is a simple question, which doesn't mean it will have a simple answer.

I have a Yashikor 80mm f/3.5 lens in a Copal MXV shutter, which I removed from my Yashica 635 TLR camera when the aperture coupling on the camera body broke. The lens aperture works fine, and the shutter fires correctly at all speeds. I've been using it on my Cambo 4x5 with a 6x7cm roll film back. At macro ranges it more than covers the 6x7cm image, which makes sense since it was designed for a 6x6cm camera.

However, the shutter has no cable release socket and no preview lever, as these things where achieved in other ways when the lens was installed on the TLR. This makes it a bit of a pain to use on the view camera. I would like to install a cable release socket so I could use the B setting for focusing.

Any suggestions on how to modify a shutter like this? I can supply pictures if anybody needs them. Thanks in advance!

PS - I should add that my attachment to this lens is somewhat sentimental (the 635 was my Mom's camera). I know I could just buy some other lens that already has a cable release socket, but I want to use this one.
    Last edited by rthomas; 06-24-2012 at 09:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added PS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try to mount a shutter release socket (like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ocket_for.html ) on your lensboard in a position so the plunger actuates the shutter release mechanism. You may be able to get the socket from a broken Copal shutter. I'd just use "B" and a locking cable release for focusing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I didn't think about buying an off-the-shelf one. I could just drill a small hole, maybe. Thanks for the suggestion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd go with IC's suggestion.
    You could also scrounge an old 35 for a couple of bucks and steal & mount the shutter release button.
    A little creativity may be needed on this one but I was able to do it with an older Seiko. I had to make a step to align the release & cable tip.
    I used a scrap of hardwood and a razor saw to make it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I figured out a low-end way to jam the shutter release when the shutter is on B - just shove a push-pin into my homemade lensboard, right above the lever. The board is made of basswood that I painted black, and fits inside a recessed metal board, so there is no light leak when the pin is removed for the exposure. This keeps the shutter open while I focus, so I don't have to reach around and hold the lever down myself while trying to turn the focus knobs.

Ultimately I think this lens is going to end up on a 2x3 graphic of some type, where the focus can be set with a rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Ultimately I think this lens is going to end up on a 2x3 graphic of some type, where the focus can be set with a rangefinder.
    You do understand that the lens will cover nominal 6x6, not 2x3, don't you? And that the rangefinders fitted to 2x3 Graphics aren't quickly or easily adjusted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On some lens/shutters from folding cameras, a wide elastic band will hold the release lever on B.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You do understand that the lens will cover nominal 6x6, not 2x3, don't you? And that the rangefinders fitted to 2x3 Graphics aren't quickly or easily adjusted.
    I would want to get an RH-12 (6x6) or RH-10 (6x7) back - I don't really care for the 2x3 aspect ratio, I was just referring to the type of camera. As for the rangefinder, I read of people using 80mm Heliars and the like on their Graphics and using them as RF cameras, so the adjustment must be doable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    On some lens/shutters from folding cameras, a wide elastic band will hold the release lever on B.
    Good idea! Off to the kitchen junk drawer to find one of those rubber bands that asparagus comes wrapped in. Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin