Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,673   Online: 799

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DAG Camera Repair

Hey folks,
    Just checking to see if anyone else is having issues with DAG Camera's turnaround for camera repair.
    http://www.dagcamera.com/

I have been reluctant to post this issue & not to whine but it is now going on three years since I sent my Minox IIIs in for repair and still no camera.

I have sent several emails and left messages and actually talked to Don a few times however I have not heard a peep in well over a year. Every time I try to call the phone is busy. Every email sent goes into the abyss it seems.

Strange way to run a business, I am a bit dumfounded on the service, will I ever see that old Minox IIIs again?

Comforting thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I doubt any store or repair person's reputation - no matter who they are - is worth three years of frustration. I am aware of who DAG is in these circles, but you should not have waited this long to raise hell. I am surprised to hear this, as DAG is often recommended as a Leica repair source. A year ago, I considered sending my M7 to him for a repair.

But still: even if there was a legitimate reason (health, parts, etc.), three years is three years. Shame on them/him.

Are you prepared to let the camera go? The aggravation you personally would go through to get the camera back may not be worth the effort, even if the camera is still around to be returned.

Regards,

Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn Rahman; 06-25-2012 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve,

That blows, frankly. I was aware of this since some time, and am sorry to hear that Mr. Goldberg has not returned your camera in three years. That really is terrible behavior, and he should at least offer you some explanation or compensation if he lost the camera or perhaps destroyed it.

Like Shawn, I have many people whom I trust recommend DAG for Leica camera and lens repairs, so I'm very surprised. His reputation is, as far as I can tell, impeccable. I hope he would just confess he lost your camera or something, since all humans make mistakes, but he should try to compensate you or make it right, a sign that he's man enough to at least measure up to common decency.

I hope you get your camera back.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    Hello Steve,

Good luck. I have had some repairs done by DAG, and I expected a long wait, which did occur. If I were in your situation I would probably just send an old fashioned letter, asking to have my camera returned ASAP. Don't get frustrated or try to read too much into the situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Three years?! He has a really good reputation but frankly that is brutal. I would send him a bill for the replacement value of the camera if I were you giving him two weeks to produce the camera or the cash. That is the only way you will get his attention. I would also just prefer to get the camera back at this point and send it somewhere else if I was in your shoes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had called them to ask about a repair and got right through. This was about a month ago. I ended up sending my camera through Minox to be repaired by the factory. Thank god I did.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's order of mangunitudes longer than anyone should reasonably expect for a repair to take.

One thing is clear though. Whatever happened already happened and you have no power to change it. So I would concentrate on getting whatever is worth back. If I were in your situation, I would:

1) First write a letter stating what happened and how long it has been - and that he did not reply to your repeated inquiry. You request you want your camera back or be compensated for your loss. Tell him you expect a reply in 30 days. I'd be nice but firm. Send it to him via certified letter.

2) If he does not reply in reasonable amount of time, then consider your next step.

At this point, we are just guessing and anything is possible. What happened has already happened, if it happened. I'd keep an open mind and hope for the best. After all, what else can you do - reasonably, really....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sort of reminds me of the year sherry kept my 'Flex sl2 -- waaay too long, and what's suprising is that he did a Minox XL for me not 6 months ago ... so we know he's there, and he just did my M3 shutter adjustment a month ago, albeit after holding it 3 months and then responding to a nudge.

I think he's overwhelmed with repairs and when someone nags and it can be slapped out quick he grabs it and does it. Keep trying, but I wonder, sometimes, if these repair people are getting both overwhelmed and a bit older and tired.

I'd send a Minox IIIs to Essex in NJ -- they're simple cameras, really.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your thoughts folks,
    I know Don was struggeling with the shutter initially but was determined he could fix it.
    I will try to get a hold of him again via snail mail.

I am normally not one to throw people under the bus, but I felt I needed to discuss my next move on this issue.
    Don is a highly skilled repair man with years of knowledge and I am sure he will get me back the IIIs soon.
    Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin