Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,093   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Turn camera in to Cine Camera with Ergonomic Accessory

http://ergocine.blogspot.ca/_

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CINELION1 cropped.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	52979

I liked the idea but hate the primitive look of this attachment. If it was plastic and lighter , it would be a great tool.
    But the concept is great and use at the shoulder and hand held is inspiring.
    And adventerous sprit can develop a similar tool with 4 layer 10 mm plywood , linseed finish and knobs to turn the gears and rectangular wire viewfinder would be an winner.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a neat idea but, as far as I can tell, it's still a still camera.

Yes, I know that many high end (and some medium price range) digital still cameras can shoot in cine mode but, no matter how you dress it up, it still quacks like a duck.

A lot of digicams that I have seen which can shoot movies have certain artifacts like "rolling shutter" effect where the picture breaks up or skews sideways when the operator pans from side to side. It's also a lot more difficult to control exposure, frame rate and other things on a camera that is primarily designed for stills. That all begs the question of how you operate it different modes or record sound when all the controls and inputs were designed for stills, as well.

I think cine mode in a still camera is a neat idea for occasional use but, if you want to shoot movies and do it right, just get a movie camera.

That, having been said, there are all kinds of shoulder brackets and rifle stocks on the market. Many of them have remote viewfinders and controls that are similar to yours. Why not just get one from a commercial manufacturer that you know will fit your purpose without all the mucking around?

It's still cool. I'm sure you could make one, as you say, out of furniture grade plywood which would work just as well. Plus you could customize it any way you like.

I've always wanted a real rifle stock for my camera.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so they're taking a camera that was designed to shoot video without all the hassle and physical labor of a large shoulder-mounted VHS-sized video camera like the TV people use and make it as big and clunky as that same shoulder-mounted video camera it was meant to replace?

Interesting concept.

I'm with Randy -- if good movies are your goal, buy a movie camera and be done with it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this a digital camera with the VCR ports connected to a VHS recorder what in it's turn is connected to a small monitor?
    So you need to press "rec" on the VHS recorder to start filming and you need to operate the camera to focus etcetera. It works I guess, but not ideal. You'd be downgrading the digital camera to a VHS recorder.
    That said, it is nice to see an alternative to record sight and sound. I like the creativity.
    I've made a scanner camera a couple of months ago. The old technique of a large format camera, combined with the new technique of a flatbed scanner. It works, but not ideal. Pictures are megapixel, but with a weird scanner effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    umut -

just get a sept
    its a still camera and movie camera, already ... all in one ...
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a kluge, and a bad one. Get a camcorder for $10 at a yard sale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You film bigots really should keep up with digital cameras. And you still camera bigots should learn more about cine cameras.

The shoulder stock is an attempt to give a small digital camera capable of shooting video, e.g., the Canon EOS 7D, the ergonomics of the Eclair ACL (or its child the Aaton LTR and derivatives). On the shoulder is much steadier than in the hands held out in front.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The trouble I have with digital compact camera's is the fact that they are to small for my big hands. You have to hold it gently with thumb and indexfinger and gently push the button without moving the camera about. A bigger camera (digital or analog) has more grip, more ergonomic. With cine camera's you want to have a bigger box to hold on to, in order to make a steady shot.
    The shoulder stock would work in giving a more steadier shot. For zoom still camera's, a rifle stock would be handy.
    @Dan Fromm, are digital still camera's with HD cine ability, equal to digital cine camera's?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The camera in the photo and on the website is actually not a still camera but compact cine camera that Canon released back in Nov. 2011. I don't know why they are showing it when the camera itself looks like it already has good ergonomics.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steven, I have no idea, but the market doesn't seem to be flooded with REDs whose owners have switched to smaller less expensive digital still camera with HD cine ability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin