Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,201   Online: 700

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Rolleis deserve respect, have this camera cleaned professionally and do not squirt anything on the rear elephant yourself - A good CLA/de-fungus is worth every penny for a camera like the Rollei and in reality is cheaper option than damaging it

I go with the advice that you should claim some financial refund to drop the camera plus CLA/de-fungus to a sensible amount - Also, if you attempt to clean it yourself you may well loose your PP refund possibility

If you don't want to spend that much money offer it to APUG members "as is" for a sensible price, which is real value minus cost of CLA etc
    Last edited by John Austin; 06-27-2012 at 11:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only bad thing, that I haven't seen mentioned, is that the location of fungus in a lens can be misleading. What looks like its in one place may be on many internal lens surfaces, even if it looks like the rear it may be on the front, etc.

Good luck, but if you can get a refund I'd go for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Austin View Post
    Rolleis deserve respect, have this camera cleaned professionally and do not squirt anything on the rear elephant yourself - A good CLA/de-fungus is worth every penny for a camera like the Rollei and in reality is cheaper option than damaging it

I go with the advice that you should claim some financial refund to drop the camera plus CLA/de-fungus to a sensible amount - Also, if you attempt to clean it yourself you may well loose your PP refund possibility

If you don't want to spend that much money offer it to APUG members "as is" for a sensible price, which is real value minus cost of CLA etc
    I fully agree with John-try to trade in a partial refund for the price paid-if the camera is otherwise ok, it is worth to keep it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your advice folks. As I bought it off another forum and I didn't use paypal, the seller doesn't respond to my PN's anymore I will propably have to sell it. What would you think would a resonable price for this camera be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Post a note to the seller on the forum asking him to get in touch. Don't badmouth the person, just say you haven't been able to get in touch by PM.
    If he continues to disregard you you may put some info into the forum itself regarding the transaction and communication.
    I'd also drop a note to the moderators regarding this. They likely have disclaimers about transactions but it won't hurt to have them aware.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentvega View Post
    Thanks for all your advice folks. As I bought it off another forum and I didn't use paypal, the seller doesn't respond to my PN's anymore I will propably have to sell it. What would you think would a resonable price for this camera be?
    Dear Vincent,
    from your post i get that the DIY route is a no go for you.
    The camera is a valuable one, so there are good reasons to give it to a competent technician, and have the fungus removed.
    Please consider my advice: DON'T sell the camera as-is!
    If you are honest, you'll loose plenty of money (on the other hand, if you ask too much it would go unsold).
    Reading between the lines, i get the impression that you want to take the loss, and end it all as soon as possible.
    Hurry is not your friend. Buying and selling is not the perfect solution for everything.
    Generation of photographers have dealt with less-than-perfect cameras, and used the services of repairmen.
    You don't have to find a "specialized" repairman, dismantling the back cell and removing the fungus isn't a very complicated task. Any repair shop should tackle the problem quite easily.
    I don't live in the USA, and i am no Rolleiflex expert (i own a Tessar one since long time, but it didn't see much use), so i can't give you any practical information. Though i am sure that many forum members could reccomend a good Rolleiflex technician, and that finding one with good prices isn't impossible.
    You could take two birds with one bullet, and have the camera overhauled.
    After that, if you protect the camera from damage and store it in a cool and dry place, it would outlast you... and probably your children too

I would shoot a roll before sending the camera away: that way you'd know in advance if there is any need for a checkup, or just a simple cleaning of the glasses.
    A Rolleiflex is very robust and very simple; if film advancing and shutter timings are OK, then i wouldn't spend any money for a checkup.

have fun

CJ

Sent from my Android tablet
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well thanks for all of your advice folks!

I guess I will sell my Rollei 2.8E and send the F to Paepke in Duesseldorf, Germany. They seem to offer complete overhauls (which includes the lens). They even replace parts if necessary. Of course they are very expensive.

Meanwhile I've shot one roll of TMX400 with the camera. The results are ok, although I think that the focus is slightly off and the film transport and shutter could use some attention.

cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Vincent, I think you will find that getting the F thoroughly cleaned and repaired will be the correct choice. A few years back I wanted one of the old Mamiya Press cameras and just couldn't find one that was in superb condition unless I didn't want to eat for a couple of months, and even then it wasn't a for sure thing. Instead, I purposely looked for one in as good of cosmetic condition as I could find that was essentially broken and put on a shelf.

Finally found that "perfect" body and after paying as much for a CLA (done by one of the best Mamiya Press guys around) as I did the camera, I have a camera that is as good as the day it came out of the factory and it works and operates EXACTLY like it should. When you get your F back, I think you will be very, very happy with the results and have the confidence that you have one of the best cameras around and a wonderful piece of photographic history.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it looks hazy it will always have more flare than my free Rollicord in which the haze easily cleaned off. In fact the only way I think I could easily tell if a photograph was taken with a Rolliecord or Rollieflex is if the Rollieflex had fungus or haze on the lens
    I'd sent it back. Some 'haze' is permanent. No reputable person that does CLA on lenses gives any guarantee the haze comes off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought a Rolleiflex 3.5F off a farm wagon, at an auction, for 42.50 and sent it to Harry Fleenor for overhaul, can't wait to get it back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin