Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,282   Online: 933

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So one more thought. If you do it yourself, competence is the key... and one key to being competent is knowing what you are doing. Procure the proper factory repair manual and study it before opening the shutter. I do not know which exact shutter you are dealing with but Compur repair manuals can be found easily. The manual contains valuable information which you cannot get by other means.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I approach these things with an attitude that if someone else can do something, then I should be able to as well. These cameras were put together by humans so an intelligent human should be able to take it apart, clean and lubricate it and put it back together again.

Steve.
    I approach things in the same way. I have done service on quite a few cameras myself, and it can be an enjoyable process.
    I was a service tech for part of my life, worked on typewriters (!), mechanical calculators, seismic equipment, projectors, movie cameras, audio gear and all manner of weird and wonderful gadgets.

Having spent time as a tech, I see the value in experience, particularly when it comes to working on something like a Rolleiflex, which as you would agree isn't all that complex a device, but when someone has spent a better part of a lifetime devoted to one device, like a Rolleiflex, he/she will gain all manner of insight.

Sometimes we may defer..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You don't need to be qualified. Competence will be fine.
    Sorry, Steve. Wrongo Mucho!

Qualified includes having the proper training, tools, lubricants, cleaning equipment, alignment jigs and fixtures, etc.

Being competent without any other qualifications is sufficient for making babies, but nothing else.

I am a professionally-trained camera repair tech. I worked as a repair tech full-time for four years,
    with experience servicing Rollei's and Compur Shutters. I would definitely not suggest that anyone
    try same without proper training, equipment, and documentation.

I still have a fully-equipped camera repair shop, including a huge inventory of replacement parts.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-23-2012 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I was a service tech for part of my life...

Having spent time as a tech...

Sometimes we may defer..
    The first two statements you make make you very different from some people who yearn to (a) learn trade of camera repair, or (b) save some money by DIY. Without that kind of background it is often more prudent to defer.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 07-23-2012 at 01:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected spelling typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. Some people, with decent tools and information, might actually be able to DIY properly the first time. The stories abound, however, of those who tried but could not complete the task. I suspect that there are even more failure stories that we simply never hear about.

Everybody needs to assess their own skills, committment, and risk tolerance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Brian,

My comments are addressed specifically at the OP's question about servicing a Rollei.

In order to do the Rollei shutter you must completely disassemble the camera, then completely disassemble
    the Compur shutter. That's made more difficult because of its small size as compared with an LF Compur.

The shutter parts must be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner, then re-assembled with application of the correct lubricants
    in the proper locations and quantities. Compur service manuals have VERY specific lubrication instructions.

Most DIYers would not have the proper lubricants to start with, nor know where to put them (lack of documentation),
    nor know what quantities are appropriate for what locations.

Once the shutter is back together and working properly you must re-assemble the entire camera.

DIYers can usually fix an el-cheapo focal-plane shutter camera from the 50's.
    I would not bet any money (even at 100:1) on amateur repair of a Rolle.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Hi Brian,

My comments are addressed specifically at the OP's question about servicing a Rollei.
    Yes, Leigh. I understood that. My comments, too, were addressed specifically to the OP about DIY servicing of his Rollei.

It is his camera and his choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I mentioned the importance of the Compur service manual in an earlier post, and assumed that if anyone reads it they would figure out that lubrication is very carefully specified. I agree with most of what you say... we could argue about ultrasonic cleaners vs other cleaning methods till the cows come home, but let's not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Sorry, Steve. Wrongo Mucho!

Qualified includes having the proper training, tools, lubricants, cleaning equipment, alignment jigs and fixtures, etc.

Being competent without any other qualifications is sufficient for making babies, but nothing else.

I am a professionally-trained camera repair tech. I worked as a repair tech full-time for four years,
    with experience servicing Rollei's and Compur Shutters. I would definitely not suggest that anyone
    try same without proper training, equipment, and documentation.

I still have a fully-equipped camera repair shop, including a huge inventory of replacement parts.

- Leigh

Sounds more like an advertisement to recuit business rather than encouragement. You'd think he was sending a man to the moon. Lighten up, it's only a broken camera.

Why discourage anyone from trying his hand at this? Anyone can repair a camera, it;'s not that difficult. It takes patience n the gray mater between your ears. Tools, lubes n cleaners are commonly available in hardware stores n online these days. All he needs is the courage n a few good tips from experianced people like you, if you can get over yourself.

BTW If it's already broken, how much more broken can it get by him doing the work? Worst case, he learned someting, gained some experiance n will give it another try, perhaps do better next time.. the camera will still be broken. No rocket science, no brainer.

How did you learn or figure out this was for you?... by trying or you went to camera college n earned a PhD?

I say go for it! Give it your best shot, read the manual, work slow n stay organised. Ask lots of questions when you get stuck n take pictures of your progress as reference points.

BTW that DIY reapir site you got the manual is a wonderful resource, join n post questions there since those people would rather try than to send it to a pro as many of em are retired repairmen with less of an attitude.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was thinking of commenting but will wait for Leigh to post first. Breath deep, Leigh, and count to 10 before hitting the post button!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin