Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,159   Online: 778

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If people didn't try new things, nothing would ever get done.

It would be good advice to try to repair a few less valuable cameras first, perhaps a couple of broken folding cameras. Then go on to the Rolleiflex if you feel competent. But most definitely, do not be put off by people who say you can't do it. That just makes me more determined to prove them wrong.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Sounds more like an advertisement to recuit business rather than encouragement. You'd think he was sending a man to the moon. Lighten up, it's only a broken camera.

Why discourage anyone from trying his hand at this? Anyone can repair a camera, it;'s not that difficult. It takes patience n the gray mater between your ears. Tools, lubes n cleaners are commonly available in hardware stores n online these days. All he needs is the courage n a few good tips from experianced people like you, if you can get over yourself.

BTW If it's already broken, how much more broken can it get by him doing the work? Worst case, he learned someting, gained some experiance n will give it another try, perhaps do better next time.. the camera will still be broken. No rocket science, no brainer.

How did you learn or figure out this was for you?... by trying or you went to camera college n earned a PhD?

I say go for it! Give it your best shot, read the manual, work slow n stay organised. Ask lots of questions when you get stuck n take pictures of your progress as reference points.

BTW that DIY reapir site you got the manual is a wonderful resource, join n post questions there since those people would rather try than to send it to a pro as many of em are retired repairmen with less of an attitude.

I dreamed of fixing my own Rolleiflexes myself some day. I have a lot of them too. I asked a local repair guy about this who has years of experience working on Rolleiflexes. He started showing me catalogs of the tools I'd need to do it, and to do it right. I got some of the tools and went to work on an old beaten-up Rolleicord I got for $20. Let me put it in the most direct terms I can: I discourage you from doing this! It's NOT easy. And I am a very proficient general repair person and rarely shy away from the odd job here or there.

It's one thing to get an old beater like I did and give it a shot. It's another to use what the OP decribed as his dream camera to learn on. Get your "dream camera" repaired and done right by a professional. Then go shoot with it and fulfill your dream. If you want to learn how to repair cameras then either research how to do it, get the right tools, and make it happen. Or if you're just curious then get a beater like I did and give it a shot in your spare time with whatever tools you have lyiing around.
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 07-23-2012 at 06:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You don't need to be qualified. Competence will be fine.

Steve.
    "Competence" is a neccessary "qualification".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    And don't pay attention to the bricoleurs who will tell you otherwise.
    See what I mean?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I was thinking of commenting but will wait for Leigh to post first. Breath deep, Leigh, and count to 10 before hitting the post button!
    It's pointless, absolutely pointless, to argue with idiots.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is this like 'The First Annual Monty Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence' ?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It is his camera and his choice.
    If it was that simple, why did he ask?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, how I wish that were true. If I had a dollar for every incompetent "qualified" tech I've met...

People can take all the training, pass all the tests, get all the certificates, and still be totally inept when it comes to doing the job.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-23-2012 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds more like an advertisement to rec[r]uit business rather than encouragement.
    Nope. I no longer do work for others; just for myself.

How did you learn or figure out this was for you?... by trying or you went to camera college n earned a PhD?
    I went to camera repair school. They don't hand out PhDs, just diplomas.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    People can take all the training, pass all the tests, get all the certificates, and still be totally inept when it comes to doing the job.
    I agree with that. I have worked with some of those people. Some with degrees in electronic engineering who I wouldn't trust to change the batteries in a TV remote control.

Steve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin