Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,527   Online: 1093

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Some with degrees in electronic engineering who I wouldn't trust to change the batteries in a TV remote control.
    Sounds like you and I have worked with some of the same folks.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rom, if you decide not to do the work yourself, here's a link to the list of reparateurs from Sylvain Halgand's site: http://www.collection-appareils.fr/g...eparateurs.php

You might ask for suggestions on his forum, also on the French LF forum. Here's a link to it: http://www.galerie-photo.info/forumgp/list.php?2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For clarification... I didn't say it was impossible to learn to repair a Rollei. Obviously, I and numerous others have done it.

What I'm saying is that an inexperienced individual, regardless of inate talent or past experience, is not going to sit down at
    the kitchen table with this camera after church on Sunday, and be done and have the table cleaned off for supper.

The tools are just as important as the instructions. You can't skimp on tools; they must be right.

If you use oil other than that specified, use sewing machine oil. It's by far the best light oil available for consumers. No manufacturer
    would risk raising the ire of half the housewives in the world by selling a shoddy product. That would be suicide, quite literally.

For a mid-weight grease use molybdenum disulphide, commonly called MolyDee. It's a dark grey paste.
    Absolutely DO NOT USE graphite in any form. It's the worst stuff in the world; highly abrasive.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-23-2012 at 05:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    For clarification... I didn't say it was impossible to learn to repair a Rollei. Obviously, I and numerous others have done it.

What I'm saying is that an inexperienced individual, regardless of inate talent or past experience, is not going to sit down at
    the kitchen table with this camera after church on Sunday, and be done and have the table cleaned off for supper.

The tools are just as important as the instructions. You can't skimp on tools; they must be right.

If you use oil other than that specified, use sewing machine oil. It's by far the best light oil available for consumers. No manufacturer
    would risk raising the ire of half the housewives in the world by selling a shoddy product. That would be suicide, quite literally.

For a mid-weight grease use molybdenum disulphide, commonly called MolyDee. It's a dark grey paste.
    Absolutely DO NOT USE graphite in any form. It's the worst stuff in the world; highly abrasive.

- Leigh
    There we go, encouragement is worth it's weight in gold. I hope he doesn't try to repair his camera in the kitchen n expect it to be finsihed by supper. I also hope if he runs into any problems he will ask questions here n on the other repair site.

BTW I saw sewing machine oil come up in other posts n wonder if it's the same as the Singer sewing machine oil I have for my old banger?.. or does it come in various viscosities? My bottle seems to have the same smell n consistancy as 3in1 oil unless they have changed their product in the last 5 years... or perhaps newer machines require lighter oil?

What I have found for oil at 1/10 th price and has the same consistancy as NyOil is trumpet valve oil I get at the music store.. in fact it has the same company address in Queens NY.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    [I] wonder if it's the same as the Singer sewing machine oil I have for my old banger?.. or does it come in various viscosities?
    What I have found for oil at 1/10 th price and has the same consistancy as NyOil is trumpet valve oil I get at the music store...
    I've only seen one type of Singer sewing machine oil over the last several decades.

Nye makes lots of different oils, so it's hard to answer that question.
    Oils are very complex products, containing various additives for different purposes. You can't simply compare smells.

- Leigh

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks a lot for your advises after 4 pages on talking if i have or have not to do it by myself.

Let me tell you something guys, to you who are experts. I have well understood that i am inferior of you and only one of the "selected" people in the world will be able to accomplish this task like a god. So i will pay for it. Like i am supposed to pay for everything that i have to do nowadays. I think some years ago, people where much more encouraging than now.

I am joking, don't take it seriously.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    I think some years ago, people where much more encouraging than now.
    I think some of us were encouraging you.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rom,

The reason people ask questions on forums is to get advice from those who have more experience than themselves.

We have no reason to waste our time answering questions if the OP doesn't want to hear the answers.

I've purchased many cameras for parts for almost nothing from amateurs who had turned nice pieces of equipment
    into piles of junk because they wanted to save a few dollars.

Nobody suggested that you were in any way "inferior" to others.

We're actually trying to help. Nobody ever broke anything by being overly cautious.

- Leigh

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry if my message was took as a complain. I apologize for it.

Anyway, thanks for your help on both sides.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Sorry if my message was took as a complain. I apologize for it.

Anyway, thanks for your help on both sides.
    In a way I am glad you will have the camera restored by a pro, you'll enjoy using it once it is working again. Perhaps you should look into buying a junker to experiment with n give it a try?.. you may surprise yourself, plus you will see what makes them tick. You have a big advantage.. the internet! There are many experianced people willing to share their information. Ask lots of questions, take pictures n go slow.. it's suposed to be fun.

Leigh, I've compared the NyOil to the trumpet oil side by side n they are the same. Been using it for a very long time and have had no recalls. I'll take a look at the sewing machine oil next time I go to the material store, curious. Maybe they use a different oil for newer machines than my almost 100 year old Singer 99.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin