Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,821   Online: 805

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to "clean" a rolleiflex shutter

Dear all,

I am coming to you to know if somes of you has got experience in cleaning a rolleiflex shutter in essence-c. (Sorry, i know that we call it "degommage" in french but i don't have any idea of the english word.

I have the opportunity to buy a rolleiflex tessar with pretty clean lens. The only thing is that the shutter needs to be clean. The seller ask for 150€ which seems very correct for one of my camera dream...

The only thing is to know if it can be done by myself.

Thanks for feedback
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    i know that we call it "degommage" in french but i don't have any idea of the english word.
    Solvent cleaner?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bezine!! or take it to a watch repair man
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the camera is a "Rolleiflex T" you may find it difficult to take apart and put back together, others are not so bad.

Cleaning the shutter properly requires complete disassembly, cleaning in benzine or lighter fluid, careful lubrication, reassembly and calibration.

I would have a person like Harry Fleenor harry@rolleirepairs.com in the US do it.

Si l'appareil est un «Rolleiflex T" vous trouverez peut-être difficile à démonter et à remonter, d'autres ne sont pas si mauvais.

Nettoyage de l'obturateur nécessite bien un démontage complet, nettoyage dans la benzine ou essence à briquet, la lubrification attention, le remontage et l'étalonnage.

Je voudrais avoir une personne comme Harry Fleenor harry@rolleirepairs.com aux États-Unis de le faire.

( courtesy Google Translate )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I would have a person like ... in the US do it.
    Please pay attention to Paul. It is not exactly a DIY effort if you want to be assured a usable camera. Other option includes: http://www.procamera.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Dear all,

The only thing is to know if it can be done by myself.

Thanks for feedback

No. The fact that you had to ask the question means you are not qualified to do this work. Send it to an expert.

And don't pay attention to the bricoleurs who will tell you otherwise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The fact that you had to ask the question means you are not qualified to do this work.
    You don't need to be qualified. Competence will be fine.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most Rolleiflex cameras, in good condition are worth owning. They will give you years of trouble free service and are easily sold if you decide you don't like the camera.

I have a Rolleiflex Automat from 1954 overhauled by Harry Fleenor. He installed a Maxwell screen to replace the original and did a fine job on the shutter.

There are others who are capable of fine work as well. I think someone who has spare parts, essential tools and has overhauled thousands of cameras in his career
    is likely better qualified to do a good job than someone like myself, who has not.

La plupart des appareils Rolleiflex, en bon état sont une valeur de posséder. Ils vous donneront des années de service sans problème et sont facilement vendus si vous décidez que vous n'aimez pas la caméra.

J'ai un Rolleiflex Automat à partir de 1954 révisé par Harry Fleenor. Il a installé un écran Maxwell pour remplacer l'original et fait un excellent travail sur le volet.

Il ya d'autres qui sont capables d'un travail minutieux aussi bien. Je pense que quelqu'un qui a des pièces de rechange, des outils essentiels et a révisé des milliers de caméras dans sa carrière
    est susceptible de mieux qualifié pour faire un bon travail de quelqu'un comme moi, qui n'a pas.

( courtesy Google Translate )
    Last edited by Paul Goutiere; 07-23-2012 at 11:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You don't need to be qualified. Competence will be fine.

Steve.
    Thanks to all for your input really appreciated.

I agree it seems difficult to achieve, but i agree with Steeve too. Competence is fine. For sure i don't have the qualification but perhaps i can succeed.

I want to do it by myself because it's not only a task to do, it's because i am interesting in doing it...

For your information, i found a very interesting link with a repair manual here

First of all, i have to get the deal now.

Thanks to all of you
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I approach these things with an attitude that if someone else can do something, then I should be able to as well. These cameras were put together by humans so an intelligent human should be able to take it apart, clean and lubricate it and put it back together again.

Steve.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin