Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,519   Online: 999

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help needed - Restoring an Ensign Speed Film Reflex

I bought an Ensign Speed Film reflex about 10 days ago, in simple terms a 1928-late 30's 6x9 roll film SLR camera.

The question is has anyone stripped one down to restore the shutter and replace the mirror ? It's not as intuitive as most old SLRs, so is so any help would be appreciated. In fact the shutter needs very little work I just need access to the curtains, but the front silvered mirror needs replacing as does the abysmal focus screen - I doubt it's the original. The lens needs a good clean as well.

It's a bit of a long shot but I'd rathera ask before stripping everything down further than I have done already.

I need to either restore or make a new focus hood the latter maybe the better short term option. Once restored this should be a great camera to use.

Ian

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I bought an Ensign Speed Film reflex about 10 days ago, in simple terms a 1928-late 30's 6x9 roll film SLR camera.

The question is has anyone stripped one down to restore the shutter and replace the mirror ? It's not as intuitive as most old SLRs, so is so any help would be appreciated. In fact the shutter needs very little work I just need access to the curtains, but the front silvered mirror needs replacing as does the abysmal focus screen - I doubt it's the original. The lens needs a good clean as well.

It's a bit of a long shot but I'd rathera ask before stripping everything down further than I have done already.

I need to either restore or make a new focus hood the latter maybe the better short term option. Once restored this should be a great camera to use.

Ian
    I can't help much with the restoration, but would like to say this was the first serious camera I owned. Bought it in 1943 when I was 16 and used it until
    I joined the army, film was hard to come buy during the war but there was surplus aircraft film, very high speed that cut be cut to size and attached
    to film backing and spools. I did my own developing then.

The modern digital cameras take a lot of the work out of camera use these days.

Good luck with the project.

Norman.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ian ,

What an amazing camera , I saw few others at your threads and they were magnificient also. I want to learn the prices of similar cameras and online seller list and a website which would guide me for the models and the prices.

Good luck , any photograph from your restored cameras ?

Good luck ,

Umut

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin