Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,323   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Information on Dr. Frankenstein...

In the mid to late 90s I read an article in a photography mag about a Japanese photographer who was doing some pretty radical camera modification, such as welding 2 K-1000s together and mounting a Pentax 67 lens, and then refinishing the whole thing in leopard print leatherette. He had built/rebuilt all sorts of beautiful but crazy cameras. I have tried to search for information on this, but have had no luck. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Info on any other "mad scientists" would also be appreciated.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Here is information on a real person on whom the fictional character may have been based, in part. Note the link to photography in this man's life:

'Real-life Frankenstein who inspired Mary Shelly
    Don Lemmon

An alchemist who may have influenced the literature of mad science was Johann Konrad Dippel (1673-1734). A man of great pride, he felt no limitations to his intellect and was interested in pursuing the great mysteries. When he registered at the University of Giessen (sixty miles north of the real Castle Frankenstein near Darmstadt, Germany), he registered as "Franckensteina." Dippel is remembered these days for a few achievements. He was the formulator of Dippel's oil, a nerve stimulant and anti-spasmodic once widely used. The discovery of the chemical potassium ferrocyanide used in the artists' pigment Prussian blue was his. Dippel was a pioneer in psychosomatic medicine as well. Like the fictional character Dr. Frankenstein, he was an ardent vivisectionist, had ideas on how to restore life to the dead, and he was reportedly interested in performing his many secret researches in Castle Frankenstein, though his death ended his attempts to secure the place. Those electric shockers EMT's use to revive you stem from Dippel's work... Dippel's life was a mixture of genius and deceit, in the interest of goals we can only guess at. Lucky for you, a book about the man is available at LemmonGrove.com
    '

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, but I was hoping more for information on folks building frankenstein cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Adventures with Pinhole Cameras and Home-Made Cameras
    by John Evans

ISBN: 2-88046-714-4

pinholes, zone plates, slit apertures, how to build lenses, lens cannabalization

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    john golden does that sort of thing with cameras. he makes stereo cameras.
    http://www.stereoscopy.com/3d-concepts/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you know his name or other useful details I can make a search on www.yahoo.co.jp
    the japanese vesrion.I'm living in Japan so not problems for that..........

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fujinonA
    If you know his name or other useful details
    Unfortunately I don't know his name, or even what magazine (it was one of the popular ones) I read about him in. All I can remember is that his cameras were amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmattfish
    In the mid to late 90s I read an article in a photography mag about a Japanese photographer who was doing some pretty radical camera modification, such as welding 2 K-1000s together and mounting a Pentax 67 lens, and then refinishing the whole thing in leopard print leatherette. He had built/rebuilt all sorts of beautiful but crazy cameras. I have tried to search for information on this, but have had no luck. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Info on any other "mad scientists" would also be appreciated.
    eh, might you mean mutohide? Here's a link: http://www8.plala.or.jp/mutohide/

we are secret admirers of this man. (Maybe not so secret anymore now.) When we win the lottery, we want to travel to Japan to meet him! He's fantastic.

And... his site offers some nice repair hints on exotic cameras as well. Really usefull.

We 'frankenstein' cameras as well, but on a more modest scale until now. Pics will soon come on our webpage in progress. Mail me with your details, so I can notify you when it's on-line.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Here is a guy who enables the 'grafting' of non-native species leather onto various cameras. Cool stuff, reasonably priced. I can't wait to get one CLA'ed before mutating it's skin. No fur, however.

Click English page at top right if necessary

http://www.aki-asahi.com
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    eh, might you mean mutohide? Here's a link: http://www8.plala.or.jp/mutohide/
    Norm, thanks for sharing this URL - this guy's a monster! If you haven't seen it, browse around and look for his Gowland-like 4x5 TLR, the page shows you how he designed and built it. Sure wish I could read Japanese ...

Nathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin