Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,740   Online: 944

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

how to remove a dent in lens filter ring

I've got a nikon wide angle lens for 35 mm with a medium sized dent in the filter ring. I saw that Micro Tools once had a device that was both a vice and dent remover but they don't sell it anymore. Asides from spending a whole lot of money sending it out to be fixed, is there any sort of tool that will allow me to do this myself.?

Thanks,

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doug, on eBay. # 190682291178 and others. Just search "Lens repair tool"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would strongly suggest having a professional repair the lens. Even though there is a tool for the purpose it is not intuative as to its use. If you stretch the ring it will become useless. The larger the dent the harder it is to fix it.

If you should decide to do it yourself, then don't try to remove the dent all at once. You must do it very slowly with multiple passes. When most of the dent is gone, after each pass test with an appropriate size filter. Go slow and be patient.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-17-2012 at 03:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have removed dents in two Yashica GSN's with a half circle of wood cut to the inside diameter of the lens. I tapped lightly with a very small hammer, working very slowly the results when finished was a light line visible on the outside of ring where the dent had been. Others may know more.
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin