Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,548   Online: 949

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    THose rubber bands look like they are holding pretty well.

3M makes a tape used to hold rubber door strips n name plates... etc on cars.. it's a gray double sided rubber based tape available at auto stores.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plaster is the original material and the only one I would consider for a repair like this, I'm a woodworker and repair tools all the time.

The downside of the other materials suggest are eigher: won't hold well enough (foam tape), or will shrink as they dry (causing the glass vial to shatter) or would be impossible to remove and replace when the level goes out of true. If it's a level in a camera body there would be no way of repairing it aside from removing and making a replacement piece.

Plaster is easy to remove, just make sure that is 100% plaster of paris. A small pointed stick of wood and water to moisten the dry plaster will soften it, then it can be scraped out. It takes patience, but epoxy will ruin your piece (assuming wood).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by twalsh341 View Post
    won't hold well enough (foam tape)
    Perhaps you haven't used this product lately? It really does hold quite good if applied properly. I was surprised... and remain surprised whenever I use it for semi-permanent uses.

... and as Ron, or Paul, says... the double-stick product has been used for years on automotive trim. When was the last time any of us has seen flapping trim on a car?

The "secret" is to use fresh genuine 3M product not a knock-off, apply it propery to clean/dry surfaces, and don't touch the adhesive during thte applicationprocess.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't think I've ever seen so many bad answers on a thread. You not only need a level to be level,
    but need it to stick level, and stay there. What kind of level are you specifically using (and is it even worth it - most inexpensive small levels aren't very level to begin with). Tapes and goop or
    whatever isn't going to help that factor in the least, and probably won't be dimensionally stable over time. It is even a gluable plastic? Or is it metal? How permanent or easy to remove do you want it
    to be? Do you have a high-quality different level as a reference, in case you need to bed the small
    vial into some kind of epoxy compound, to check the net result?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin