Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Holga

Which adhesive to use on a spirit level?

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what would be the most effective (read strong, durable) adhesive to fix a small spirit level vial to a wooden frame.
    A white rubber-like adhesive was originally used but the vial parted company with the glue after a few months use. I also think part of the vial surface needs to be lightly "roughened" to give a key for the glue.

Any suggestions?

TIA
    /Frank...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd use epoxy and roughen the level.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try contact cement. I betcha' that is what was originally used.

You can get contact cement at the Home Depot or similar places: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/dap-3-f...ent-00107.html

Just test it on plastic first. The stuff has a high solvent content. The solvent might attack the plastic.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would also second the recommendation for getting plastic safe adhesives.

You can also take a look at low profile recloseable fasteners (thats what 3m calls it). It works like velcro, but without the fuzz, and they adhere flat. You can also remove and rotate the level if you put it on two surfaces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd use a double stick foam tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd use a pair of tiny brass woodscrews.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quakewax.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The liquid in Spirit levels has a nasty habit of drying up over time. Less time sensitive, is that they can be broken in an unfortunate bump. I would suggest mounting them in a way that they can be easily replaced. I have had two metal cameras; Linhof Technikardan (4x5) and Sinar P (8x10), and two wooden cameras; both R.H. Phillips (8x10 and 7x17). The Spirit levels were mounted with two or four screws of the same material used in other parts of the camera. The Linhof is sold, but the screws were a bright metal. The Phillip’s use stainless steel. I am not sure what is on the Sinar and I am reluctant to disturb the levels. It appears to be stainless, but I am not sure.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Holga
    Thanks everyone,

I'll give the epoxy resin a go first.
    Front standard is strapped to an Empire level and the vial is level & glued, as I write.

Attachment 57219

/Frank...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree. Contact cement you have to get it right the first time. Epoxy takes longer to harden.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin