Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,461   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    after 60-plus years, I'm peeling too.

but it still works, right?
    Ohhh yeah. That little beauty works like a charm. I wish all my cameras were that reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Another method is alodyne (chromic acid), which applied as a liquid, will give a corrosion resistant oxidation finish.
    BTW, any oxidation finish can give an uneven appearance on cast aluminum, though its protection will still be fine.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The chrome on my IIIc looks great. There is some wear on the top of the shutter button, which has a bright finish instead of satin, with brass showing through. And a little wear on the strap lugs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    The chrome on my IIIc looks great. There is some wear on the top of the shutter button, which has a bright finish instead of satin, with brass showing through. And a little wear on the strap lugs.
    I think the wear just makes it look better.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Friends, You are awesome. The Intelligence Report find was exceptional. I worked at a electroplating factory as a export manager and cleaning the parts and using distilled water were the two highly critical factors. One Boatbuilder contacted with me to send them yacht handles , I now remember We were using a transparent electroplated shiny coating on them imported from England. There are tons of materials electroplaters could plate on your parts , every kind of color.
    I remember I have found a importer from Greece which buys copies of Italian Goods to sell as original at Greece.
    We worked hard to match is greenish petrol gold color. But result was breathtaking. The artisans who is responsible from colors , mold cnc stuff were unbeliviable , you say something short and he undertands what you are talking about and did the correct thing in 1 hour.

I will post another question within this thread and thank you very very much.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Electroplating difference between Leica and FED and Turkish Chrome Story

What do you think , is there difference between LTM Copper Nickel Chrome on Brass electroplating technology and FED Electroplated Body Finish.
    If they are same - do you think early , after ww2 or late 50s model plating was the best - may be sacrificing a cheap camera small area for thickness measurement is easier than the Leica camera.

But I found a new hobby , is to exact replication of Leica finish. I can may be buy a junk Leica body and test , next summer.

By the way there is no Chrome Ore at Germany and all the Chrome went from Anatolia . Around 40s , you are seeing an Anatolian coating at Leicas.

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 09-17-2012 at 12:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...9&goto=newpost

Both the top cover (including the separate rangefinder housings of models II to IIIb, and the housing under the shutter dial of all Leica I and Standards) and the baseplates were of drawn brass. Black finishes were a shiny black etching ground lacquer, probably applied directly without any ground. How Leitz prepared the brass for the chromium plating I don't know; general practice in the surface treatment business seems to be a thin preparatory layer of copper.

Early chroming from about 1933 or so seems to be shinier than later practice. The quality of the chrome deteriorated during the last years of World War II and the early peace years, as Germany had a bad shortage of chromium, which is of course a strategic material. This was the reason behind the dark-grey cameras from the war years.

lars_bergquist

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I remember I have found a importer from Greece which buys copies of Italian Goods to sell as original at Greece.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    twenty-eight strip anti-monial lead anodes being employed.

Could you please explain above sentence and technology for me ?

Thank you ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say that the anodes are lead and antimony, apparently lead alloyed with antimony.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin