Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,892   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

building a back that rotates, or you know, is turnable if not connected always...

mornin'

Just a quick question about building a back that could be turned to shoot landscape and portrait.

I'm not so bold as to try to build one of them rotating types. My plan is to make one that can come apart be turned and then just put back in. I have a basic idea of what I'd like to do and was looking for some ideas on how I can fix the 2 bits together so it's strong and can be done relatively quickly.

My only thought so far is nuts and bolts, so industrial, fiddly, but strong.

Attached is a very crude version of what I have in the brain, so please excuse its inaccuracy, I'll just say that the board will be square and so will the bellows, so there's no need to worry about anything getting the way - so to speak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	57610

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get a chance to check out 8x10's and such, many have pins (facing out) on the removable back's edge. The camera has corresponding metal tabs with holes that line up with the pin. At the top, the tabs are slightly flexible so the back "snaps" in. Some have a hook&eye latch for extra safety.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're attempting to reinvent the wheel the hard way

Most LF cameras except Press cameras (Speed/Crown Graphics) have backs that are easy to remove and re-attach rotated 90°, 180°. 270°. It's dead easy !!!

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do a search for images of Wisner and Wista cameras. Wisners have pins which locate in brass strips at the top and bottom and Wistas have a similar arrangement but with pieces of brass bent to ninety degrees to hold the back in place. The back is stepped so it locates itself into the rear frame.

Name:	wisner_r.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	57611

Name:	wista45dxiii.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	57612

The back locates onto the bottom set of clips/brackets then two slides at the top draw it into place either by pulling in on the pins or directly onto the rear plate.

Steve
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so, but how do they do it smarty pants?
    I've never used or actually gazed upon a "real" one, only the one I built myself.

And thanks jp, you gave me a good Idea (capital I good)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    so, but how do they do it smarty pants?
    I've never used or actually gazed upon a "real" one, only the one I built myself.

And thanks jp, you gave me a good Idea (capital I good)
    You need to see how backs are fitted, it's so simple but diagrams and even photos don't tell you everything. What I'm saying is the fittings needed are so simple, nothing hi tech.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks Steve, but I should add that I have very basic materials and tools, so anything that would require really detailed machining of metal is out of the question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You need to see how backs are fitted, it's so simple but diagrams and even photos don't tell you everything. What I'm saying is the fittings needed are so simple, nothing hi tech.

Ian
    ok, I'll see if I can find one to take a proper look at...
    thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could make the brass bits similar to those used by Wista with hand tools. A hacksaw, file and drill would be enough. You would ideally use a vice to put the bends in but you could probably use a Mole grip wrench instead. You don't need any fancy machine tools to make them.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmm, don't have a vice or mole grip...
    I'm gonna have to get the holes drilled anyway because I don't have one of those either

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin