Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,474   Online: 1115

Shooter
    Medium Format

Restore metall Finish?

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to restore my cameras metall finish. The bottom plate is wared out in the corners and seems to have reached another coating of cooper/golden metal [see image].

Is there a paint, chroming paste, or process like polishing that I could use to make it look less ugly?

Ty in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails botoom.jpg  
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why would you want to do this? It's part of the charm.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To do a good job either replating the base or painting it would require removeing the base from the camera. The special paint that is used on camera bodies require baking in an oven after application. Plating requires a special bath and an electric current.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-26-2012 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's called "brassing" and, as the man said, many people find it attractive as a sign of a much used/loved camera.

Replating the baseplate is theoretically possible but would be prohibitively expensive. There's a few guys who custom-finish Leicas, but those are Leicas and the service costs as much as a Leica.

Paint would always look like paint. If the camera works, use it -- look at it this way, as it is, you don't care if it gets scratched.

consider eliott erwitt's M3, a thing of beauty if ever there was one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aperture64/2739236380/
    Last edited by summicron1; 09-26-2012 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin