Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,288   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

need ideas about building a simple filter tray

I have a couple of simple VIvitar enlargers that I bought for next to nothing. But they do not have filter trays. The filter tray slot is about 3 inches wide and just over 1/2 inch high. The depth is about 5 inches and the front, due to the enlarger head being round, is curved.

Do you have suggestions on what material I might use to make an endurable tray? I do not want to use heavy cardboard, even if then covered with duct tape. But I do not want to have to buy hacksaws to cut metal either. Making a simple tray should not be not rocket science. Probably a type of plastic that is both fairly rigid and also can be cut would be good. As far as for the front of the tray, I would probably use a thin metal and curve it to mesh with the enlarger head. I would then cover that part with felt to keep light out. Thank you. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thin aluminum can be cut with heavy scissors.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-01-2012 at 07:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    And where do I buy sheet aluminum? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hobby shop.

You can also look at sheet styrene (plastic) there too. Building one out of that material may be a decent option to consider.

... or plywood. Hobby shops generally carry 1/16 and 1/8 inch plywood that can be easily manipuated into photographic things like lensboards, filter holders, etc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Aluminum, brass sheet stock, both are good options. Another option would be some plexiglass - it is fairly easy to cut, comes in a rainbow of colors (black is very common and makes a good option) and many thicknesses, and is easy to cut and shape. You can get plexi in sheets at the hardware store, or you can order it online from specialty shops.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good suggestions. I knew that there would be people who would know this. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Go take a look at the grocery store at the pots and pans aisle--- look at cutting boards (usually good plastic that can be cut easily), or other items including cheap aluminum pans that can be cut or bent into shape.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    35mm

need ideas about building a simple filter tray

I have a Durst M601 that came without a filter drawer. I contacted the Durst repairers in the Uk and they supplied the part. You could check out whoever dealt with Vivitar parts where you are. You might be lucky. The M601 was long out of date when I got the part I needed. The other thing to consider is simply blanking off the drawer opening and using filters below the lens. That would certainly work with the Ilford Multigrade filter set, but I don't know if it would be an option for colour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Geez David--I just got rid of an E-34 or I could have sent you pics and dimensions of the drawer.

BTW-- theres a piece of heat absorbing glass in the drawer that the VC filters sit on.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Rick A, I actually bought THREE of the Vivitar enlargers, for $10 each, and ONE has a filter drawer so I know the dimensions already. - David Lyga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin