Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,517   Online: 1049

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikkormat FTn Focusing Screen Removal

I am about to replace some light seals on a Nikkormat FTn. At the same time, I would like to be able to remove the focusing screen, as it has a lot of dust on the sealed side and could use a cleaning.

Can anyone point me to some clear and accurate information on how to remove the focusing screen (and put it back again)?

Many thanks!

David M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remove top of camera, start removing prism screen box, prism spring clamp and lots of other bits till you get down to the screen. That's what I can see from the diagram in the repair manual.

Not recommended for the faint of heart.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried this once and failed. Spent hours trying to approach it from different angles. In the end I did damage to the camera, went to craigslist, and spent $50 on a mint body. If you don't have a split prism screen FTn, I recommend finding one.

The one upside is an appreciation of the complexity of the camera and how well built it is (except the shutter speed ring).

Shooter
    35mm
    Removing the focus creen on the Nikkormat is really is not tough to do but it must be done with the dexterity and mindset of a surgeon. One slip and you will ruin the fragile focusing screen. But if you know how to do this and are careful, it is really easy.

The whole thing lifts out once you remove the screws, unlike with those electronic monsters (Canon AE-1), one of which I wrecked when I broke the circuit board on top of that prism. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    More of a concern is the shutter speed indicator strip. It's attached to a string. Could be easily damaged, if you're not careful. Also, have a soldering iron handy, since you may want to disconnect the sync terminals to get the top cover completely out of the way while working on it.

That said, just keep your eyes peeled on the KEH outlet eBay store. Next time a lot of Nikkormats comes up for auction, bid on it. You're likely to find a nice FTn or FT2 that works fine, but that they decided wasn't worth selling with a warranty.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin