Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,224   Online: 1126

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, the yarn fits neatly in a channel like the ones that the ridges of the back door of 35mm SLRs fall into. For the foam that the mirror hits buy some thin self-stick weatherstripping. It works great. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the idea of yarn. If it was for the light trap, I'd use this (and will if it becomes necessary).

In this case, it's the mirror bump that's faulty so foam makes more sense.

BTW : any ideas on how to remove this goo from the ground glass ? It's a plain matte one and I'm afraid it could easily be damaged.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I finally got a foam kit from Camera Solution, and changed the foams tonight.

I took the opportunity to clean the mirror, screen and prism with "absolute alcohol" (not sure of the translation, it's 100% alcohol). I was a bit nervous about the screen, but I have another one and this one was too dirty for my taste.

The viewfinder is now bright and clear, and there isn't any goo left... I'm quite happy of the way I spent my evening (I also repaired a right for the wife, which is always good for atmosphere ;-) )
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't clean plastic matte screens with alcohol. It can get milky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I didn't know, so I did it... It's OK (but I can see a few lines similar to scratch lines in the VF on some backgrounds
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Laurent, as an FYI I've given up on foam. I'm using black wool for lightseals. and felt for mirror buffers. Lasts forever, never turns to goo. I got the idea from a Russian camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    FYI, CameraSolution is connected to me. The only seller in the world who is, actually. Stefan Ihrke and I have been friends for many years and he sells my foam over there (as I sell his camera leather kits here). If you're in Europe or find it easier to deal with somebody in Germany, Stefan is the right choice. If you want to talk to me about light sealing problems, please send a PM. I have kits for over 200 models of cameras, and I'm happy to help you with odd requests also. The foam we sell has been proven not to go gooey for over 50 years. Since 1958, it is the best foam for camera use I've ever seen with no exceptions.
    Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin