Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,043   Online: 887

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Need foam for my AE1-Program

Hello all,

my good-old AE1-Program has been "de-squeaked" recently, and as a consequence I use it more. I noticed some pieces of black goo on the mirror.

I'm afraid it's the mirror dampening foam that deteriorates.

Where could I get this thing (or better, who could send me a strip of the appropriate foam ? )

Cheers,
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have some 1mm thick self adhesive black foam. If you send me your address, I will post some to you.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There used to be a seller on Ebay called Interslice who sold DIY camera seal kits including mirror foam. Sadly he no longer trades on Ebay, but can be contacted direct at jgood21967 'at' aol.com
    His kits were very good. I used a couple and have completely resealed several cameras with them.
    His name is Jon Goodman.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Many thanks Steve !

I sent you my address.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    His name is Jon Goodman.
    He is an active member here now.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    You know, i think that I will impart this once and for all. I do not use foam. I use black yarn and it works great for most SLRs. You leave a bit of the old foam in place to provide stickiness and carefully start either the upper or lower channel from the hinge across to the door latch (about five or six inches). Tuck everything securely and maybe put a tiny bit or Elmer's glue on each end. You could also slightly put some glue on your fingers and gently wipe the yarn before inserting it into the channels.

For the hinge part of the door (about 1.5 inches) I use thin, self stick weatherstripping. The first time you close the door it should be mildly hard to do but not extremely hard. After a few closings it will be really a secure fit.

Tip: do not cut the yarn until you have laid it up to the door latch. Then, carefully cut it with either a sharp scissors or use a new razor blade. Tuck the yarn compeletely using a small screwdriver. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 10-11-2012 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    You know, i think that I will impart this once and for all. I do not use foam. I use black yarn
    I recall reading somewhere that movie cameras use this instead of foam. If it's going into a channel then it should work very well.

However, Laurent wants to replace the mirror stop foam and I don't think he would have much luck trying to stick a bit of yarn there!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took apart a hasselblad back recently and found a black piece of what looked like yarn as David described above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The foam used for lightsealing doors and the foam used on mirrors are two very different foams.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    I took apart a hasselblad back recently and found a black piece of what looked like yarn as David described above.
    It's a German thing... Rollei used yarn for some applications too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin