Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,590   Posts: 1,545,945   Online: 1224

Shooter
    Multi Format

DIY Braided Leather Neck/Shoulder Strap

I made myself this strap the other day, it was actually pretty quick to make, consists of inexpensive materials, and is really sturdy.

It is a simple four strand round braid, that uses 3/8 inch leather trim. The end was terminated in a crown knot, and after tightening down with pliers, was sealed with super glue.

I made a quick test length to determine how much material was needed with some scrap rope that was the same thickness and width, in the end about 20ft of material made 4ft of braided cord. Remember you are cutting it at half length to start, and using the two pieces across each other to make four strands to braid.

Here is a good explanation and guide to making the braid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0afO40tsqAc

I cut out some soft leather oval scraps using a quarter as a guide, punched a hole through it, and used them as pads against the split rings on the lugs.

It is actually very comfortable on the shoulder and neck, there is a little bit of stretch as well. The termination knot I feel is not too big but is noticeably larger than the beginning end, but I could not find a better option that was as sturdy to lock in the four strands, and nicely end it with split ring attached.

Here are some pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   1.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks very nice. Hope you enjoy it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you going to make some for the rest of us?
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Are you going to make some for the rest of us?
    Haha! If I only had the time and the materials. I was using up a few yards of left over leather. I was hoping this info would be useful for anyone wanting to make one themselves instead of paying ridiculous prices for leather camera accessories.

Also thank you all for the kind comments.

This can also be made out of paracord too, where there are dozens of colors, thicknesses, and options like reflective material (good if you are walking around at night on the roads with your camera) and even glow in the dark paracords . They can be sourced on the big ol auction site very cheaply or through a store such as rei or ems.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin