Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,439   Online: 876

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon 20-35/2.8 D flex circuit?

I have a Nikon 20-35 whose flex circuit I managed to tear while attempting to remove the bayonet. Took surprisingly little force to do so, so little that I thought the aperture coupling lever was preventing it from coming free.

Anyway, I now have a very nice but very manual-focus AF lens that I think is worth repairing. I called Precision Camera and they don't even list parts for it. Checked eBay, and it turns out I would have much better luck if I'd taken a hammer to the front element; no joy on a flex circuit.

Does anyone have a 20-35 flex circuit or a mechanically junked 20-35 that I could salvage? I really like this lens and I'd hate to have to sell it for parts.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its been a good lesson for you to not play with the lenses. Its 500 dollars lens at keh com .

I researched the net and your address is the Nikon service. Contact with them , precision buy the parts from Nikon Japan and bring to US. It takes months and you have to pay %40 more than the Nikon. And if you dont use.Nikon at first try , after an second incident , Nikon refuses to repair.

Good luck,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon no longer sells parts to independent repair shops in US. How badly did you tear it and what is the extent of the damage? While exact parts may be hard to impossible to obtain, if all you broke is the flexible circuit board, which I mean the tape like flexible structure with straight trace on it, you may be able to find something similar as these are fairly common. It does require some understanding of electrical circuit and manual dexterity to repair it, it's not impossible. It's really hard to be any more exact without seeing what you've done.

Where in the world are you though? US?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Several sub-categorie under cameras etc, I looks for parts in are "broken" "as-is" and "parts"
    There are a couple of sources for flexes and misc. bits.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mustafa: You're telling me. This is not the first Nikon lens I've disassembled, not by a long shot, I just had a brain flameout and forgot to remove the connector block from the bayonet first.

I'm in the US. The circuit is torn right at the connector block. It's a fairly clean tear, I imagine someone with good SMD soldering skills could repair it.
    I thought about taping it back together with Kapton, if I can line the conductors up with enough contact to function.
    I don't have a lot of hope for that plan, but it's the least permanent if it fails.
    Last edited by okto; 10-18-2012 at 12:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That doesn't sound impossible to repair.... Can you take a macro shot of the damage?

Did the connector came off the circuit board? Do you have the skills and the equipment to deal with the task? I would probably NOT try taping it as it will very likely result in connections unreliable at best. You could often scrape the surface and expose the copper, then use a very small amount of solder to bridge the broken part. But then again, I'm saying all this without knowing extent of the damage.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin