Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,542   Online: 1197

Shooter
    Multi Format

Salvaging lenses from office copy machine?

Hello!

We have a copier here that will be thrown away. It's fairly old and repairing doesn't make sense. On the other side, it can go up to A3. More specifically it is a Ricoh FT 4215.

Thought I will look for lenses inside it. Any idea where to look? Do all office copier have salvageable lenses in them?

Greetings,
    Eugen

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    Hello!

We have a copier here that will be thrown away. It's fairly old and repairing doesn't make sense. On the other side, it can go up to A3. More specifically it is a Ricoh FT 4215.

Thought I will look for lenses inside it. Any idea where to look? Do all office copier have salvageable lenses in them?

Greetings,
    Eugen
    I don't know about lenses but (new-ish) copiers can have hard drives in them with an archive of the things that have been copied. Could be some interesting stuff there. Since a lot of this kind of stuff is assembled by semi-skilled labor it's probably fairly modular so just keep taking it apart until the novelty has worn off. You'll find something.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Google "copy scope". You can make a not-too-bad telescope from a copy lens.

Also, stepper motors, optical sensors, switches, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I don't know about lenses but (new-ish) copiers can have hard drives in them with an archive of the things that have been copied. Could be some interesting stuff there.
    I didn't know that. Who knows how many people's butt pictures might be stored on that?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @semi-ambivalent: This is an old copier, no HDD for shure.
    @Peter Simpson: It is exactly what I did. (Well, one could buy such lenses for cheap but the sellers I found are sitting on the wrong side of the pond.) Unfortunately I don't see anything looking like a lens, but maybe I search in the wrong part of the guts of the copier. That's why I need advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Xerox lens, but I haven't used it yet. I'm waiting on a back for the Speed Graphic and then I'll take a few frames.

Basically, it's heavy and it only goes down to f/16. It *looks* like it would cover 4x5, but I'm not quite sure yet. I won't be until I take photos with it.

I would probably say no, though, it isn't worth it. Most won't fit in a shutter and it'll be a novelty thing at best.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photo Copiers changed how they imaged over time. Originally the whole sheet imaged at once. Then the whole with as a travelling stripe was imaged.
    Most recently they scanned, and I am not sure how the image for the scan was formed. Our most recent one seemes to scan with the array no more than an inch from the platten glass.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its not that old and it is a laser copier. I'll bet there's nothing in it that will function as a lens on a camera. Why don't you dismantle it a little?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin