Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,464   Online: 938

Shooter
    35mm

Strange Praktica Mirror Problem.

I recently acquired a late production Praktica Super TL, number 500957 out of aprox. 508000. It came to me with a stuck shutter, but after some cleaning and exercise and prodding the camera fires reliably. Except when set to 1/125 and pointed upward. Without exception firing the shutter when set to 1/125 and tilting the camera upward - the mirror stays up and won't return. If I rotate the shutter dial to 1/60 the mirror will return. If I fire the shutter on any other speed with the camera pointed upwards, the mirror returns like normal. But it will always stay up when set to 1/125.

I'm a bit baffled why this would happen on only one shutter setting, and what causes this. The camera has been serviced in the past which suggests whoever owned it had previously had some sort of problem with it - perhaps related to the issue I have with it.

If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dried out, sticky grease.

Shooter
    35mm
    I could be flippant and say don't point the camera up when using 1/125th.

However I suspect it may just need a good service. The seals (Mirror damper) may be breaking up and getting sticky. The Praktica is built like a Russian T34 tank and will soldier on almost forever. They just need looking after a little.

Shooter
    35mm
    This one has the cloth flap for the mirror damper, so it couldn't be that. I'm guessing it probably needs a more thorough cleaning, I just didn't want to tear to far into it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Old cameras have always unique character to their owns. Dont try to disturb them too much for perfection. Use your Practika as it is. Some Soviet cameras and lenses are excellent especially if they are German. I like their results if the environment is not geting direct light. Pictures turn to a burnt tone and it is excellent. I did not see a better bokeh than these cameras and you dont need to force it to give you bokeh. Daylight colors excellent , foliage is exciting and try to snap some picture of your own from a mirror at mid day and you would impress with the results. Some small mechanical error is not important , dont break the camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin