Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,756   Online: 1046

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light tight seals for large DIY pinhole camera

I am building an 8X10 pinhole camera and am interested in a good light tight seal for the surface the film holder is in contact with. Any ideas as to what willl keep the light out, not fall apart in a year or two and where it might be available? I've bought kits from Jon Goodman in the past for my 35mm cameras, however I'm looking for wider and longer. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm
    When I built mine, I used closed cell weather stripping from any hardware store.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Make sure that anything like a film holder in contact with the camera body isn't going to change the distance between the lens/pinhole and the film plane.

remember light does not go around corners. Build a slot or something similar for the film holder or some sort of flange on the film holder.

I would also suggest a copy of Primitive Photography by Greene-- an excellent resource.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    Make sure that anything like a film holder in contact with the camera body isn't going to change the distance between the (word "lens" deleted) pinhole and the film plane.
    For a pinhole I would assume the DOF and tolerance is huge enough that foam compression wouldn't be much of an issue... or is it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Foam compression is of no consequence. The black, closed cell foam works well.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon Goodman came through like a champ. BB

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin