Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,574   Online: 798

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikkormat FTN rewind crank

My friend's FTN lost its wind crank (how?!?) while in my possession. I'm now tasked with acquiring a new one, and I'm having great trouble finding a source. Buying a whole new FTN is out of the question, but any crank that fits is acceptable.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKKORMAT-FT...item4abdfa5285

Find a junk body on ebay. They're not that expensive, probably not any more than an NOS rewind crank would be if you could even find one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't beat the price on that link. With postage $13.00
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Bill at Chicago Camera Repair on Wabash has helped me. He found a rewind crank for a Nikon FE-2 and he did CLA for $105.00. Phone-312.332.5538.

Shooter
    Large Format
    $105 for a rewind crank, no thanks. CLA's are easy enough to do yourself at home. I don't know why people pay to have them done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My rewind crank fell off but I still have it and trying to figure how to get it back on. In the meanwhile, the rewind wheel still works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    My rewind crank fell off but I still have it and trying to figure how to get it back on. In the meanwhile, the rewind wheel still works.
    If the rewind "cap" loosens on the rewind shaft, tension goes off the spring that holds the rewind crank in place in the "cap". Put a strip of wood (or something) through the slot in the inner end of the rewind shaft to loosen/tighten the shaft in the "cap".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    $105 for a rewind crank, no thanks. CLA's are easy enough to do yourself at home. I don't know why people pay to have them done.
    Because very few have the tools and skills to do it properly. I just spent two evenings doing a complete CLA on a Pentax H1a, dividing the time it took into $105 means I 'paid" myself around $18/Hr for the work. I wouldn't hire myself out for this type of work for thrice that amount, and the camera isn't worth it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Same problem. I took a rewind off a junk Pentax I have. Works perfectly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin