Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,249   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

It looks like 3D printing could ensure a vibrant film camera market in the future..

I was thinking about this the other day. 3D printing continues to become more advanced every few months, even the printing of metal objects. In theory 10-20yrs from now maybe we will be able to print competent camera bodies to house various films? Here is a 3D printed pinhole camera:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9044

Here is another:

There is also the talk of 3D printed circuitry becoming a reality using graphene..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've always wanted a simple CNC machine.. there's a lot you can do from sticking together things, or making replacement parts

With 3D printing, you could print out components to bolt together, I'm sure you could make a competent camera from printing components.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And they're getting cheaper and cheaper.

I'm so fascinated by this...mainly because it could solve my cheap 5x7 inversion processing problem. :P
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Absolutely. I fully intend to use the 3D printer at our library (yes, the library has several 3D printers) to keep my Jobo working when the shitty plastic it's made of breaks.

Given that we have people successfully printing rocket motors, cameras are really not going to be a problem. My suspicion is that we will see printable designs soon for coating machines and small-scale automated film processors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm building my 3D printer right now, been buying thinking of stuff to model so I can start cranking stuff out when it's finished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's amazing and exciting that this 3D printing technology is already available. My guess is that within a year or two there will probably be many new 3D-printed cameras on the market.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by willrea View Post
    I'm building my 3D printer right now, been buying thinking of stuff to model so I can start cranking stuff out when it's finished.
    You should try a particle accelerator next.

The sooner we can churn out Hasselblad and Pentax spares with one of these, the better. This could potentially be the camera collector's speedball. But no worries, you can always make a new wife/girlfriend...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ABS and PLA are the two most common materials used. I haven't read anything in terms of ABS, but PLA isn't light tight, so if one were to design a camera to be printed in it you'd have to take additional measures to make the camera light tight.

If anyone happens to know if ABS would be better, I'd like to know for my own designs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I've always wanted a simple CNC machine...
    I'm making one at the moment. I have the use of an Excellon CNC router at work (intended for PCB drilling and routing) and I am using it to make myself a small machine for personal use. It is actually quite a simple thing to make. Do a Google search for 'diy cnc' and you will see a vast range of styles and construction techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by willrea View Post
    I'm building my 3D printer right now
    Any pictures you can share?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This a old pic of just the frame: http://www.flickr.com/photos/willrea...in/photostream
    I got the y axis linear rail and bed assembly this week and I'll upload a pic of all that soon. Also decided on upgrading the x axis to a linear rail and will need to use a aluminum angle to mount the extruder on. I'm waiting on word about the extruder body and the controller board should be shipping next week or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin