Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,279   Online: 888

Shooter
    Multi Format

Start on 4x5 Mono + 3D Printing

Hi all,

I've started to prototype a 4x5 camera using birch ply and the first generation of mounting hardware that I 3D printed.

Front and rear frames are finger jointed 6mm birch plywood. I'm not quite sure what I want to do for a lensboard. I may fit a small rabbetted frame to the front will allowance for felt and a 3 1/2" square board. I think that is reasonable. I will make the usual brass tabs to hold the boards in place.

If it's not clear I don't plan on having and tilt/shift movements in this prototype, focus may be on rack and gear in the front standard. the square protrision on the tube in the drawing is a stand in for a rack gear, but it might also be like that. and focus by nudging, at least for the prototype.

Currently I'm building two in ply and one in mahogany, though more consideration is needed to allow for wood movement in the mahogany. I haven't planned out the lensboard arraignment for that yet.

The bracket in the foreground was 3D printed, it still needs several post machining operations, including drilling and tapping for the mounting holes and tapping for the clamp screws. but I'm happy so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monorail 4x5 Rail:Bracket.png   DSC_3842.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Very keen to see how this goes - especially the 3D printed parts...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I'd make the lens board at least 100mm/4", then you have a bigger choice of boards and lenses. Anything much under 100mm and you may have trouble with the faster wide angle lenses. It looks like the front standard is plenty big enough.

Do you do a lot of 3D printing? I'm looking at using it for a lens board conversion shim if I can find a service that does black ABS.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin