Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,111   Online: 854

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Regarding using Harman's DPP, I have a bit of experience at this and can offer you some advice. I rate Harman DPP at ISO 2, and so a lens set to F11 would require, in lightly overcast daylight (such as what I experienced when doing this 2 days ago) an exposure time of 2 seconds. Bulb setting on your shutter, or a lens cap shutter, can accomplish this nicely.

In super bright summer sun, with a larger aperture, you'll need exposure times around 1/15 to 1/2 second, which not many LF shutters can accurately time. So what I do in those cases is either stop down to a very small aperture and use a 1-2 second exposure or use an ND filter to slow down the exposure until I can time it accurately by hand (2-4 second range is ideal, as it's long enough to time accurately and short enough to permit seated, posed portraits with a head brace).

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joe, are you sure that leaf shutters time exposures between 1/1 and 1/60 badly? I ask because I haven't found this to be the case, have found it very hard to time exposures in this range with a lens cap. Might your shutter(s) need overhaul(s)?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Yes, a single shutter speed can be limiting, especially if you don't know what it is. Buy your 210/4.5 Heliar's Compound a CLA.
    Does anyone know a good address to SLA my Compound shutter? Preferably in Europe. Or should I try itself? I'm tempted, since I have two of these with the same problem...

I think I'm gonna make a simple lens board for this lens and experiment with the FKD to measure the focal distances. I'll also try the mathematical way and see what the differences will be ;-)
    This the original data page of my lens: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...a/8-121mm.html

BTW: I'm used to use my hat as a shutter on my russian FKD camera (18x24 cm) using glass negatives. See:
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl/2012/0...ives-with.html
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 12-28-2012 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any in the Netherlands, here http://www.collection-appareils.fr/g...eparateurs.php is a list of some in France.

Bruno Lancement has a good reputation, so does Marc Nicolas and Gerard Metrot has a stellar reputation,

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Joe, are you sure that leaf shutters time exposures between 1/1 and 1/60 badly? I ask because I haven't found this to be the case, have found it very hard to time exposures in this range with a lens cap. Might your shutter(s) need overhaul(s)?
    I wouldn't be surprised if all my mechanical leaf shutters are off at this speed range. The only one I really trust is my electronically timed Bronica ETRS, that goes up to 2 seconds. My point is that, unless you want to spend a sizable portion of your photo budget on CLAs, collecting LF lenses can be an expensive proposition, the alternative of which is to avoid the slower speeds entirely. I have yet to find a used LF leaf shutter with accurate slow speeds.

Harman DPP is a harsh mistress, she demands accurate exposures. If you're used to working with compensating film developers in LF, and think you can SWAG the exposure with Harman on an inaccurate shutter, think again.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I built one such camera from a discarded Kodak that had a film opening almost the size of 4x5 film... I replaced the bellows with a fixed cone, the 170mm lens with a 90mm extra wide angle lens in a self-cocking shutter, and replaced the rollfilm back with a brass pocket lined with felt to accept a film holder. It is, quite literally, just point and shoot, and let the depth of field take care of the rest.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Jkayamuni,
    How did you decide what size (focal length) the cone shoot be?
    Bert
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 12-31-2012 at 06:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bert,

Before I made the cone, I slipped a piece of white printer paper into my film holder and slid it into the pocket on the back... then I opened the lens and went into a dark room with a tiny window open. I moved the front standard back and forth until the image was in focus and then taped it down. That's how big I made the cone. The key is, don't make it more complicated than it is.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As I said before, I'm gonna use my “Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 1:8/121 #7481057 in working shutter” lens.
    I just found out that this lens is made in February 1961 !!
    See: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/service/serie.htm
    It is much older than I thought. Even six years older than I am: I'm born on February 14th, 1967.
    This lens was originally designed for 18x24 cm (about 7x9.5 inch) but I have seen reports from people stating they could get coverage for 8x10 inch without vignetted corners (stopped down and without movement I guess).
    I'm gonna try to find a lens board to fit it in and test it. Haven't done that before (I'm new to this kind of LF lenses). I also need some kind of ring to lock the lens onto the board, I guess ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi toadmen

have you considered just setting the lens up for hyperfocal exposures
    from what i remember, schneider lists the distance + fstop on theirwebsite
    so you can just use it as a fixed focus camera ...
    have 2 backs .. one with ground glass ( or whatever it is you are going to view through )
    and have it the same distance from the rear element as your film / paper plane...
    you have 4 pegs and 2 large elastics to secure the back on it, you remove the back
    slide the paper holder / film holder, secure it with elastics and you are good to go .
    if you can deal with longish exposures since hyperfocal is usually stopped down a bit
    that might be another option.

have fun !

john

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin