Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,671   Online: 858

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim,
    While dovetails do look nice, several skinny box joints (cut on a table saw) would be MUCH stronger and sturdier in this case since you're dealing with thin stock and no fixed "bottom" like a drawer has. I'm assuming it's going to have a rotating back.
    Last edited by wildbill; 01-26-2013 at 11:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Vinny, the dovetails are not small ones. 1/2" doves. The back will rotate yes. I always support the inside of the back box with what will become the stops for the bellows. The rear bellows frame will stop and if need be attach to this. Generally I make the rear frame out of solid stock and make it fit tight to the back box. The rear frame is then very rigid. My back box is a more traditional depth. It is 2" deep. Even though I'm designing my camera around the Chamonix/Phillips design I feel the additional depth of the back bx is needed for better strength. I have Deardorff hardware to use and I'm going to move on to the rear back assembly with the ground glass soon. I'll be working on the old T depth question soon. I'll get some more images up soon.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    here is an update. She is coming along
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitz-camera-head-on.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Here is the hard part.... well not really. This is my fourth build and I'm getting smarter with each one! I used my Seneca Improved to get the ground glass and T depth right. Gotta have clamps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ground-glass-frame-base.gif   ground-glass-frame-glue-up.gif  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Gotta have clamps!
    You can't ever really have enough of those.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yep, can never have to many clamps. Jim, looks like things are coming along nicely. Always enjoy your camera builds, you make it look so easy.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very nice build, this is soooo tempting (I built a rather crude mono rail 4x5 but do no own it anymore. I enjoyed the building process though)
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I need to keep busy seeing as how I won't see my significant other until June:-(

So here is another update. I took a couple of days to carefully put together the back frame and ground glass frame. The holder slides in perfectly and the T depth is right on the money. I have the glass but I need to make the clips. I have the stainless steel to fabricate them from so let's get busy Mr. Dremel!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back-and--ground-glass-frame.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Time for a little update. So here is a rough picture and update. Erik Larsen was kind enough to send me a bellows he had made at Western Bellows that he is not going to use. Looks like it will work. I'll know for sure in the morning but it looks real good. Now I need to step it up! Just need to fabricate some more stainless and drill a bunch of holes and get ready for a dry assembly real soon. So I just need to find a name for it. The Fitzinator? Fitzphil? Chamofitz? Fitzonet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camera-fit-with-bellows.jpg   camera-fit-with-bellows-left-side.jpg   camera-fit-with-bellows-right-side.jpg   Camera-with-bellows-test-fit.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Pre-assembly layout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8x10-pre-assembly-lauout.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin