Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,096   Online: 715

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Can I use a color correcting yellow .50 as a medium yellow filter?

I've a toy camera that I want to glue a gel filter to the inside so I always shoot with a yellow (k2) filter. Will an old Cibachrome color correcting filter do? If so which one? I've the .1, .2 through the .50....anyone advise?

Last edited by zsas; 01-06-2013 at 02:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy- I've used everything from CC filters, rubylith, contrast filters, colored cellophane, etc. in Dianas/Holgas/box cameras, etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Andy- I've used everything from CC filters, rubylith, contrast filters, colored cellophane, etc. in Dianas/Holgas/box cameras, etc.
    Nice! You happen to know which of the CC yellows is most like a K2? I'm guessing the 0.50
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't recall which I used. I do remember it was a filter which was damaged, so cutting off a piece wasn't wasting a good filter. Is there a way for you to take a few shots, with each of the filters taped to the front of the camera? That way, you can gauge the results of each.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    K2 = Wratten 8

No, you cannot copy the spectral density of the Wratten 8 by using yellow Color Compensating filters.

However, stacking two CC50Y should get you close.

The K2/Wratten 8 contrast filter is a cut-off filter that cuts-off blue and transmits green and red.
    The CCY compensating filters are band-pass filters that transmit a band in the yellow region, but still let through some blue.
    However the relative sensitivity in that region varies for different films, so that you likely will get similar results.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-06-2013 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks AgX! Thankfully the .50 is large enough that I can double it over like you suggest and get close to a K2. Just wanna mess around and have a bunch a these cc filters doing no work...thanks!
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The K2/Wratten 8 contrast filter is a cut-off filter that cuts-off blue and transmits green and red.
    The CCY compensating filters are band-pass filters that transmit a band in the yellow region, but still let through some blue.
    All this talk about cutoffs and bandpass… Were you by chance a radio amateur in another life?
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hgernhardt View Post
    All this talk about cutoffs and bandpass… Were you by chance a radio amateur in another life?
    Light and radio waves; all part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Touché.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How about a piece of Rosco/Lee stage lighting filter gel?

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin