Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,361   Online: 749

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The little ball on the end is the way to go. get a glass cutter with one of these for old glass. I have done some stained glass work in my time. For old glass get a new cutter - old glass is very brittle and you only get one pass with the cutter. Try and make 2 and you will crack it. Once you have scored, hold the glass and put a *very* slight stress on it the way you want it to crack, then start tapping lightly at one side (not the middle) you should start a crack fairly easily. If the glass doesn't instantly split along the score (it might) gently progress the crack by tapping. Don't be tempted to try breaking the glass over an edge. In my experience, this seldom works with small pieces of old glass. dipping the cutter in oil/turps/paraffin, light oil or even cooking oil works.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    With thin glass it is best to use a diamond glass cutter as it needs less pressure than the wheel type and is less likely to break the glass. One pass is all it needs then you just pick the glass up and snap it with your fingers, it does not take much to do it, no tapping or dowels on the table. I have used this method to cut microscope slides to use as rangefinder windows and it works fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I am learning a lot.

I have searched the Web as well and some say that, when it comes to cutting, glass is similar to a liquid, not a solid. This is fascinating and your answers are the result of hands-on experience. I have a lot of 2 x 2 inserts to practice on. Thanks. - David Lyga

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My wife does stained glass here and she has a grinder that grinds glass away pretty quickly. If some bits are too small to easily cut with a cutter you can draw a line on the glass and use a grinder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin