Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,782   Online: 728

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

How to clean out hardened grease from focus track?

I have a very nice older wooden 4x5 field camera. The focus rack and pinion assembly appears to be in need of some routine maintenance. I think it just needs to have the old, dried up hardened grease/lube removed and maybe, some new lube.

I'd like to clean out the old grease without damaging the wood finish...any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a way to remove the hardware?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would get as much off as you can mechanically with toothpicks or similar wood or plastic probes, then follow up with a cloth or perhaps Q-Tips or more toothpicks sparingly moistened with a solvent like paint thinner.
    If the finish is lacquer or shellac a petroleum a solvent like the thinner shouldn't damage it, OTH alcohol will attack shellac, and lacquer thinner will soften lacquer.
    Though with either, just letting the solvent evaporate should get the finish back to where it was, assuming nothing like finger prints,dust or water (rubbing alcohol) gets in it during the process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probaly a dumb question however, let me ask, can you take it apart so you only have metal parts to clean?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I would get as much off as you can mechanically with toothpicks or similar wood or plastic probes, then follow up with a cloth or perhaps Q-Tips or more toothpicks sparingly moistened with a solvent like paint thinner.
    If the finish is lacquer or shellac a petroleum a solvent like the thinner shouldn't damage it, OTH alcohol will attack shellac, and lacquer thinner will soften lacquer.
    Though with either, just letting the solvent evaporate should get the finish back to where it was, assuming nothing like finger prints,dust or water (rubbing alcohol) gets in it during the process.
    For get disassembling, that can get you in deep $#!+. Do what he said.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    White spirit (UK) or mineral spirits (US) is relatively mild, it will not affect many wood finishes once these are fully dried. It will soften the waxy residue left when the lighter oils evaporate off from grease.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be tempted to start with a somewhat mild water based degreaser.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Large Format
    geez...tooth picks and mineral spirits... thanks guys. I don't know what's going on with my memory...I've done this before on several previous cameras. I guess my brain was switched off this morning or something! Anyway, I've cleaned out the tracks and the focus movement is so much smoother and easier now. There was...I think a thin layer of wax build up.

All good to go now...and such a sweet camera!

Thanks !

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is the result of toothpick alone
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130113_132251.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	62688

Shooter
    Large Format
    Stiff toothbrush, Dawn detergent, hot water.

NWG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin