Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 757

Shooter
    Multi Format

Did I break anything?

I just picked up a Toyocaflex for $45. It had a really sticky shutter below 1/25sec, but i was confident that it was just age. After I had cleaned all the nastyness out of the mirror-box, I decided to take some 3-in-1 oil to the shutter. I did not know anything about camera repair at this point, but I understand now that oil is not an ideal fix for sluggish gears.

However, soon after putting oil all in and around the shutter assembly, all the speeds came loose again and are working with surprising accuracy.

I figure, if it works, it works. However, am I doing any long-term damage by putting the oil in it? Should I go have it cleaned ASAP?
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with 3in1 is it's way too thick among other things. It will attract and then hold onto dirt and grit.
    I'm REAL surprised your shutter works. Who knows for how long tho.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send it off for a CLA [Clean, Lubrication, Adjust] when you can afford to. I would not wait too long. KEH.com can do a CLA and they are geographically close to you.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the quick responses. As soon as I've got the extra money I'll take it in to Peace Camera. I've gotten mostly positive reviews about them and they're a stone's throw from the house.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple of things....

Oil of wrong type can evaporate and cause haze on lens surface.
    Too much oil can leak and go into places where it shouldn't.
    Gunked up oil is still in there.... loosened/dissolved by new oil and solvent, it will gunk up again,
    Typically, putting unknown oil of unknown quantity into a precision instrument is a risky thing.

I think it's a good idea to get it cleaned up and lubed correctly. I don't think you caused any immediate problem though.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus its not just if its the right oil, it is also how much oil. If you over oil, it will migrate to other areas.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EKDobbs View Post
    I just picked up a Toyocaflex for $45. It had a really sticky shutter below 1/25sec, but i was confident that it was just age. After I had cleaned all the nastyness out of the mirror-box, I decided to take some 3-in-1 oil to the shutter. I did not know anything about camera repair at this point, but I understand now that oil is not an ideal fix for sluggish gears.

However, soon after putting oil all in and around the shutter assembly, all the speeds came loose again and are working with surprising accuracy.

I figure, if it works, it works. However, am I doing any long-term damage by putting the oil in it? Should I go have it cleaned ASAP?
    You haven't actually "broken" anything, but you have created a potential mess.
    Send the camera to someone who knows what they are doing, and don't put any more 3-in-1 oil on cameras. Ever. Anywhere.

Shooter
    35mm
    Something tells me that you should have flooded the shutter with lighter fluid (i.e., without the lens elements attached), the opposite of oil. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Plus its not just if its the right oil, it is also how much oil. If you over oil, it will migrate to other areas.
    Agreed. Just one drop from a 3 in 1 can is more than the whole shutter needs - even if it was the correct type.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Something tells me that you should have flooded the shutter with lighter fluid (i.e., without the lens elements attached), the opposite of oil. - David Lyga
    That's another good way to make a mess.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin