Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,876   Online: 971

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't see how scratches on a mirror could interfere with the meter, as long there is no substantial change in the overall reflectivity.

In those cases where the meter is located behind the meter typically only a fraction of the light is sent to the meter, so a smaller change in overall reflectivity would already affect the meter.

But still I cant see how scratches could be of affect. Maybe aside of the visible scratches a seemingly even abrasion has taken place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any scratches on a mirror will cause light scatter, and a front surface mirror will scratch far easier than a lens, it's also the position in the light path between lens and screen which gives it a far greater effect.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm not so much worried about the scratches now (it really doesn't appear to be scratched with the naked eye), but I am slightly concerned with the possibility that i moved the mirror.

What's rather annoying is the cost to even get the things looked at by a professional. Might as well buy a new camera or DIY.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you moved the mirror (bent the mirror mechanism) the viewfinder image would be off center compared to the image at the film gate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    Hello -

I am relatively new to photography and made the stupid mistake a few months ago of cleaning my mirror on a Nikon FE2 and a few lenses with my t-shirt while out taking photos one day. I didn't realize this could have done damage until I read a few threads on here which were stating how fragile the mirror is and that if it needs cleaned you should send it to a professional.

So do you think I've have ruined the mirror? How about the lenses? With the naked eye, everything appears ok, but I don't know.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
    A T-shirt? Seriously?

Firstly, how did the mirror get dirty? A mirror shouldn't get dirty. Keep a lens or a body cap on the camera at all times and it won't. I use a Nikon F which I bought about 1994. It came to me with a clean mirror, and I've never had to clean it.

Second, the force you may have applied to the mirror when you stretched the T-shirt over your finger, reached into the mirror box, and 'cleaned' the mirror may have damaged the mechanism that moves or holds the mirror in the proper position. Such a procedure could also damage the focussing screen, which is just above the mirror.

Third, a T-shirt is for wearing, not cleaning optics (any optics, even cheap binoculars) with. A search of this site will turn up the correct procedure for cleaning lenses, but here's a hint - it's better to keep your lenses clean, than to keep cleaning your lenses. Use the lens cap, it's what it's for. Of course, the lens will eventually get schmutz on it. Then you clean the UV filter you put on the lens to protect it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mirror glass/coatings are really soft
    Don't touch them, just blow dust off with a bulb and leave it alone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin